To top

Photoshop Tutorial - Hair / Fur from scratch

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Photoshop Tutorial - Hair / Fur from scratch

Postby bloodjelly » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:26 pm

In this tutorial you will learn how to create realistic looking fur on a transparent background that can be attached onto any surface you wish. (See the skinning tutorial if you need help attaching the fur.) Off we go...

As you can see, this cat's itchy head rash led to a nasty bald spot. And since no kitty should be subjected to the harsh verbal blows of other animal species, we've got to cover it up.

Step 1: First, create a new document set on a transparent background. Create a new layer, and fill the background layer with a solid color - white if you're creating dark hair, a darker color for the background if you're creating light hair. This is simply to create a contrast so that you can better see what you're working on.

Step 2: Next, select the "Dune Grass" paintbrush, or something similar. Set the opacity to a low setting, somewhere between 70% and 30%. Start painting on the top, transparent layer of your canvas, paying attention to the form and layers of hair that you're creating. Your hair will start looking something like this:

Build up layers of color slowly with the paintbrush.

Step 3: To add a more realistic shading effect, double-click the hair layer, and select "Gradient Overlay". Set the Blend Mode to "Linear Light" and the opacity to 10%. This will make a darker color on the lower part of the hair that blends lighter as it works its way up.

Step 4: Using a smaller "Dune Grass" brush, paint in some more hair texture until your heart's content.

Step 5: Once you're finished with the hair itself, open up your target image, and drag the hair layer to it. Alternatively, you can select the hair layer, SELECT > ALL, then COPY and PASTE to the target image.

Once the hair is on the same canvas as your target image, hit CTRL-T, or EDIT > FREE TRANSFORM, and change the shape to something that looks good to you.

Step 6: I used the eraser tool with the Dune Grass brush (you could also use the regular paintbrush with Mode set to "Clear") to mold the hair a little better to the cat's head. In this tutorial my intent wasn't realism, hence the Donald Trump look. But you can make the hair look photo realistic if you take the time.

You can stop here, or go farther and have a little fun.

Step 7: By double-clicking the hair layer and selecting "Color Overlay" with blend mode "Color" at 90% opacity, you can get some neat effects. I duplicated the hair layer and set one to blue and one to red. Play around with the other settings for some surprises.

The more time you spend on building up the hair the more realistic it will become. If you use this tutorial, be sure to upload your results to the board!
Last edited by bloodjelly on Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebus
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby rebus » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:25 am

A punk cat... love it.
Any of my reference photos may be used to create artworks as long as they are acknowledged in the normal way.
ethonfrank9
New poster
New poster

Re: Photoshop Tutorial - Hair / Fur from scratch

Postby ethonfrank9 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:57 am

I saw this tutorial and read it carefully about the some changes in the hair style indifferent colour and the shapes.Here it looks very different in the cat and the hair in the red colour is looking very rock in this picture.I think this one is best and educative tutorial.
darlenehill19
New poster
New poster

Re: Photoshop Tutorial - Hair / Fur from scratch

Postby darlenehill19 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:29 am

You have made it so easy for me :wink:
I know you had to invest much time in that tutorial but let me say that you invested well!
I just a newbie in Photoshop..
Learning..messing..practicing..but from things like that I can easily get insight clues..
Step 1......TO.....Step 7
I am all done and fixed... 8)
Now I am looking forward to more of your contributions bloodjelly :wink:

Return to “Art Studio”