To top

Isolation coat on acrylic paintings

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Isolation coat on acrylic paintings

Postby MiChelleAngella » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi, I have yet another dilemma..
Usually I varnish my acrylic paintings when they're completed, and I always apply an isolation coat using soft gel gloss medium before I apply the varnish. [I never skip that process ever, because it serves as a protective layer between the painting and the varnish].
But this time I realize I didn't have enough soft gel medium [gloss]...
and I have to take the paintings to a gallery in two weeks...
[the art shop won't get the gloss medium until 3 weeks time.. they only have matte gel medium available]

My question is this:
Can I use a [matte] gel medium as an isolation coat as well?
[or is that a big no-no]

Another question is:
Must I take the chance and apply the varnish directly to the painting without any protective layer between?
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Re: Isolation coat on acrylic paintings

Postby MiChelleAngella » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:33 pm

EDIT: I made some tests on some smaller paintings and ruled out matte medium as an isolation coat, as well as varnishing directly on painting... that's definitely out for me..
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:24 pm

Sorry, Michelle, I cannot be of any help as I have never varnished a painting. :?
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:13 pm

Gary Dee wrote:Sorry, Michelle, I cannot be of any help as I have never varnished a painting. :?

I guess it's a matter that I live in a place with hot weather that can be hard on an acrylic painting, so to make sure it's protected from the heat and dust, I feel much better when I varnish it [as it becomes a seal] plus it brings back the vibrant colors as when the painting was wet.
Perhaps when I relocate to europe I might not need to varnish the paintings, but i'm sure I will still want to anyway. :)
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:28 am

MiChelleAngella wrote:[as it becomes a seal] plus it brings back the vibrant colors as when the painting was wet.

I use a matte spray sealer that does the same thing. The sign I painted a couple of years (summers) ago is still doing great and it is outside unprotected from the weather. Summer before last we had temperatures of over 100 degrees F for 103 days in a row (a record) and we had freezes that winter. It is still holding up. (I thank God. :D )

I suppose it is really up to the artist, however. One cannot be too careful when it comes to their work. Whatever works, huh. :D
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:49 am

Gary Dee wrote:I use a matte spray sealer that does the same thing..

That's something I could look into.. [thanks for the suggestion]..
I've used Krylon spray on my graphite drawings and that's good stuff, but i've not had success with spraying paintings... would you recommend a matte spray that I could try? Thanks! :)
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Michelle, I've used the Krylon matte sealer on most of my paintings. "Rust-oleum" also makes a matte spray sealer which seems to be the same to me.(just a little more expensive - may be more of an industrial grade, I'm not sure) That is what I used on the sign.(about 4 good coats) You might try that.

I hope that's of some help, Michelle. :D
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Gary, that is a lot of help infact.
SharsArt
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:53 am

Hey Michelle,

Don't know if this is too late to be of any help, but I also seal with acyrlic sprays. I have used both types, matte & gloss with great success. I like "Clear Coat" or use "Top Coat" (applied with an airbrush). The most important thing for me is to apply two thin coats with lots of dry time. I spray them laying flat so I don't have to worry about runs.

One of the advantages of using a different sealer base is that it's easier to remove just the finish if necessary (ie... acrylic water based as opposed to oil based varnish).
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:53 am

never too late :)
I like the idea of application with an airbrush.. i've never thought about that, and it's been a dream of mine that one of these days, i'd like to get an airbrush set..
Thanks for your suggestion Sharla :D

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”