To top

Music with meaning

Who's your favorite?
darrenrichie
Postaholic
Postaholic

Music with meaning

Postby darrenrichie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:44 am

I think everyone has one or two songs that have somehow influenced their life....what's yours?

Mine is "A Day In The Life" by The Beatles.
My dad played it loads when I was a kid and I remember getting scared by the crescendo of strings in the middle because it was kind of odd! But growing up I listened to more Beatles and got into music so much there was a time when I couldn't get to sleep without music playing. It was because of that I got into playing music and if I hadn't my life could have gone in a totally different direction which wouldn't have been a good way to go! I met my best mate Andy playing music and so many other friends, and have memories that will stay with me forever because of that song. :)
Richie
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot."
Douglas Adams
HoorayForSeymour
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby HoorayForSeymour » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:34 am

The Monkees have really influenced me (surprise! :lol: )Before I liked them, I didn't really listen to any music from the 60's or 70's like I do now. I obviously wasn't around then, sheesh my parents were like 3 in the 60's! After becoming obsessed with The Monkees, I started listening to a lot more music from back then, and now that's the majority of what I like.
andy tetlow
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby andy tetlow » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:38 am

I met my best mate Andy playing music

your so sweet...the tune i remember is my old band, sumits first tune they did after i left..a song called vestibule pool..it made me cry and question my decision about leaving....you didnt know that did you darren?
andy tetlow
"I would walk a hundred miles to punch a camel on the nose" -Pedro Gonzalez, cousin of Speedy

http://andytetlow.blogspot.com/
http://www.reverbnation.com/sumit
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:28 am

Darren, 'My' song is by the Beatles as well. "The Long and Winding Road" 'Long' story behind it. :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
lynnielu
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Re: influential

Postby lynnielu » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:28 am

I'm pathetic, I don't have a "song" per se.
I have such diverse musical interests, but if I had
to pin point something that was influential, I'd have to say my father also.
He loved music and it was always playing in our house. He played a lot of the big bands,
like Glenn Miller; also the older country western songs like Eddie Arnold, Ray Price etc.
So, I would say my father gave me an appreciation for music in general. I like classical,
alternative, native american, new age,(enya, clannad, adiemus, etc.) I'm not limited to one genre.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

My Calendars at Lulu.com
http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1586244
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:44 pm

I had been long-haired hippy kid and a huge fan of the Jimi Hendrix Experience and of Jim Morrison and the Doors. Then in 1971 they both died. The Beatles broke up.

There ensued a decade of the most appallingly awful music and fashion. I hated all things disco. I'm using the word "hate" here.

I was a little late catching on, but one day in 1979 I discovered punk. Bands like the Ramones in NYC and the Dead Kennedys in SF. My life changed overnight; I got a haircut and some new clothes and started going out dancing again. I became a punk rocker. What a relief. I could almost say that the Ramones saved my life...

HoorayForSeymour
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby HoorayForSeymour » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:16 pm

I agree that disco was terrble! I like some 70's music, but not disco.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:03 pm

Well, there were George Clinton and Eddie Hazel (Parlaiment/Funkadelic). Apart from that I can't think of a damn' thing...

darrenrichie
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby darrenrichie » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:04 am

andy tetlow wrote:
I met my best mate Andy playing music

your so sweet...the tune i remember is my old band, sumits first tune they did after i left..a song called vestibule pool..it made me cry and question my decision about leaving....you didnt know that did you darren?

It's funny really because that's the tune I always think about when I think of us because it was the first song we wrote without keyboards in mind and it was really difficult to write. Never knew how much it got you though. I questioned myself alot then as well because I thought that it would just break up when you left.

Hamlet I agree about disco, wasn't exactly the best was it? Ramones are great, they just get me rocking when I listen to them.

Lynnielu, it's good that you have a diverse musical taste. I think it's important to be open minded when it comes to music, but still know what you like and don't like.

HoorayForSeymour, isn't it funny how good music never goes away no matter how old it is? 60's and 70's music has a timeless quality about most of it unlike some music that comes from the 80's or even 90's.

Gary, wonderful song and I can imagine a song like that having special meaning because of what it is about.

Thanks for sharing all of you.
Richie
"He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot."
Douglas Adams
HoorayForSeymour
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby HoorayForSeymour » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:03 am

Yeah, I hardly liked anything in the 90s. Well I did like Hanson and the Spice Girls, but I was 12 so I hope you all will forgive me :lol:

Return to “Music”