To top

Music with meaning

Who's your favorite?
James McCarthy
New poster
New poster

Re: Music with meaning

Postby James McCarthy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:10 am

For me the 70's was the weirdest decade in the history of music (I'm 54).
Much of my favorite music was created between 1969 to 1975. I loved prog rock and that was its golden age. Along with that, the philosophy of anti-materialism and a love of nature was prevalent. Then ironically, in the second half of the 1970's, the worst music of all time was created and people became more materialistic than ever, wearing expensive clothes and dancing all the time to shallow disco music.
anthony
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:24 pm

Hello James McCarthy:
You are a couple of years older than me, but I think that we share the same sentiment (or sediment) - depending on how you want to say (lol)
I loved all the progressive 70's rock - still do - for us it was cool to say that disco sucked back then, but looking back now, I see it as nostalgic. Hearing it now, it gives me kind of a fuzzy, you know what I mean? But I would still never listen to it intentionally - (I would not go out and buy it) I'm into and always have been into the progressive stuff. Too bad that there doesn't seem to be anything that equals it now days. But the stuff that was produced in the 70's is still there, and we still enjoy it just as much.
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
WithinYourReach
New poster
New poster

Postby WithinYourReach » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:42 pm

There is this band from the 80s called The Replacements, and when I first heard them it blew my mind. It still blows me away sometimes when I listen to them how good they were, yet how under appreciated they were when they were making records and touring. Now, all these new bands and artists are siting them as a primary influence.

The song that knocked me out is called Can't Hardly Wait. It's like an underground 80's post punk song with a Memphis horn section. (Google: The Replacements - Can't Hardly Wait)
Videdrone: (re)discover music - http://www.videdrone.com
KarenRules
New poster
New poster

Postby KarenRules » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:20 pm

I think all of Celine Dion's songs have meaning.. I love her.
Steve Labours_428
Passionate poster
Passionate poster

Postby Steve Labours_428 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:12 pm

I used to listen to rap, hip hop, alternative rock (I believe it's called...), and a few other genres about 9 years ago. I became a "born again" Christian and began listening to gospel music. There's a group by the name Phillips, Craig and Dean who I believe make very uplifting music. There are a few artists/groups that I admire as well.
"...Those who work deserve their pay!" 1 Timothy 5:18

Return to “Music”