Digital come lately

Movie discussion.
to_fly
Postaholic
Postaholic

Digital come lately

Postby to_fly » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi Gang,
My TV-VCR died some time ago, and I've only this month gotten around to buying a portable DVD player, and my DVD collection is a new addiction. It took a couple weeks before I discovered that Circuit City and Best Buy's weekly sales on various titles are better deals than I find in WalMart, save 3-disc seasons of M*A*S*H, which are my treasures, along with Tyler Perry's works. Accidentally picked up two of TP's plays, thought they were silver screen versions, but, while I haven't watched them yet, I don't plan to return them, either. :wink:

On my DVD shelf are: Chocolat, The Wedding Planner, Ghostbusters (1 & 2), Schwartzenegger comedy set (Twins, Junior, Kindergarten Cop), M*A*S*H (Seasons 1 & 2), Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Shakespeare in Love, and more. Payday is on the horizon, along with further indulgence of my new habit. I'm hoping to snag Hunt for Red October, M*A*S*H Season 3, and the film version of Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married or Meet the Browns. 8)

Peace,
tf
Evie
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Re: Digital come lately

Postby Evie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:28 am

Hi ToFly,

I dare say we share some similar tastes - I love Chocolat too 8)

I really enjoy movies with stunning cinematography and images that inspire new creative ideas. I found Moulin Rouge a visual feast, not to mention Lemony Snickett. Just as music fires the imagination, I think movies can also ignite that flame. I remember a movie called The Cell with Jennifer Lopez (pls suspend judgment!) that was so striking and also Pan's Labyrinth. Can't not mention Tim Burton, a master.

Anyone else got some visually striking movies? Hope I'm not hijacking your thread! :wink:
DrayeArt
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:02 am

Everything on my shelves are either action, western, crime, war or comedy. I think it's pretty much the only genres I've watched in my life. Voluntarily.
NEW TUTORIAL: GET ANIMATED CLICK HERE
to_fly
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby to_fly » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:43 pm

Snagged "Because I Said So" with Diane Keaton!!! 8)
DrayeArt
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:18 pm

Now that you're getting into DVDs, BluRay is trying to usurp that format. Supposedly providing higher definition and offering players priced as low as $150. The buzz is avoid them. The visual differences are not that drastic, the selection is dismal and the price is not worth the investment. Stay the course on standard DVDs as they'll be around just as long(if not longer) than VHS was.
to_fly
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby to_fly » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Agreed Draye!^5

I allowed my gaze to wander over to the blu-ray discs a couple wks ago, and instantly suffered sticker shock. :shock: I'm definitely staying the course on str8 DVDs for now, though I am curious about downloads. What's the skinny there? :?

Peace,
tf
Ironmonkey
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Ironmonkey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:23 am

DrayeArt wrote:Now that you're getting into DVDs, BluRay is trying to usurp that format. Supposedly providing higher definition and offering players priced as low as $150. The buzz is avoid them. The visual differences are not that drastic, the selection is dismal and the price is not worth the investment. Stay the course on standard DVDs as they'll be around just as long(if not longer) than VHS was.

actually there's a big difference, I have both the key is to have a 1080p hi-def tv. I hooked the dvd player to it; a little darker and somewhat fuzzier bluray WOW.. but yeah the bluray disk's are much more in cost..witch is why I do stick with my dvd's and only buy big block buster cgi movies on bluray such as batman (dark night). But soon neither will matter digital movies are the way of the future. with just a click of the button you'll be abel collect you movies that way.Oh and if you wanted to get your dvd player to play at its best, some dvd players have hdmi hook ups, just buy a hdmi wire attach it to your tv and your dvd player will then be played in 1080i resolution.
~Character is who you are when no one is looking~
DrayeArt
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Ironmonkey wrote:actually there's a big difference, I have both the key is to have a 1080p hi-def tv. I hooked the dvd player to it; a little darker and somewhat fuzzier bluray WOW.. but yeah the bluray disk's are much more in cost..witch is why I do stick with my dvd's and only buy big block buster cgi movies on bluray such as batman (dark night). But soon neither will matter digital movies are the way of the future. with just a click of the button you'll be abel collect you movies that way.Oh and if you wanted to get your dvd player to play at its best, some dvd players have hdmi hook ups, just buy a hdmi wire attach it to your tv and your dvd player will then be played in 1080i resolution.

Everything you said costs money. I'm thrilled with the look of most of my DVDs, and it's not really that important to me to see every pimple on the actor's face.

As far as downloads, tf, I've only done it about 4 times, for really obscure films I knew I'd never get to see on disc because of availability or price. I'm not really crazy about watching movies on a PC, so I wasn't wowed. Everybody likes to go with Netflix. Seems to be the best price and selection.

Return to “Movies”