To top

Movies

Movie discussion.
hans mertens
Substantial poster
Substantial poster

Movies

Postby hans mertens » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:49 pm

When it comes to the greatest movie ever , I would think at "Gone with the wind". But than again I think or was it "The English patient"?
No it most be the three parts " Lords of the ring".

Again wrong: "To kill a mocking bird"was the best ever
end in a flash of a moment I know:

"Great expectations, the original black and white version"

Hans Mertens
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:44 pm

Citizen Kane, Orson Welles, 1941, is almost universally agreed upon by professional film critics to be the best movie ever made.

My personal favorites are Lost Horizon, Frank Capra, 1937 and The Day The Earth Stood Still, Robert Wise, 1951

DrayeArt
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:04 pm

The greatest movie ever made, is usually a personal decision. Screw the critics, they thought Ghandi was good. Lawrence of Arabia is my fav, with the Wild Bunch a close 2nd.
NEW TUTORIAL: GET ANIMATED CLICK HERE
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:19 pm

Gandhi was better than "good", it was excellent. Just not my choice for the best film ever made.

The Wild Bunch? Wow. I guess it just goes to show that a person's favorite movie will depend in part on what they consider to be important in this life.

DrayeArt
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:28 pm

I think I know what you're driving at. If Bunch was just about a train robbery, no, it would be a trivial movie. What WB was about, to me, was honor, and true friendship, even to the death. And defiance to the bitter end. And how the world can pass you by as you age.

As far as Ghandi, the man was more interesting than the movie. And his life was much shorter than the movie, too.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:59 pm

OK, I'll have to watch WB again. It's been at least 20 years since I've last seen it. More money for NetFlix. Although I've got to tell you, Sam "Bloodbath" Peckinpah is not exactly my favorite director.

DrayeArt
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:06 pm

hamlet279 wrote:OK, I'll have to watch WB again. It's been at least 20 years since I've last seen it. More money for NetFlix. Although I've got to tell you, Sam "Bloodbath" Peckinpah is not exactly my favorite director.

Nor mine, but he did create a piece of poetry in this one. And by the standards of today's gratuitous violence, his films seem pretty tame now. Watch Grindhouse to see what I mean. Money spent on an old good movie is better than money wasted on 10 new crappy movies.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:18 pm

Tell you the truth, I wouldn't watch "Grindhouse" on a bet; it's not my cup of tea. I'll give "Saw" I, II, III, and IV a pass as well.

Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:20 pm

"On the Beach" here. :roll:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:27 pm

On The Beach! That's my third choice! Talk about a movie with a message... plus, Ava Gardner, Gregory Peck, and Fred Astaire (in a rare dramatic role) all give flawless performances.

The one thing that I could have done without was the tiresome iteration of "Waltzing Matilda".

Return to “Movies”