To top

COMMISSION - progression!

Post and view comments about the art in the galleries and art in general.
anthony
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Re: COMMISSION - progression!

Postby anthony » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:10 pm

BTW, Gary, don't forget to factor in gin 'for a steady hand' in your cost of production :lol:
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:55 am

MiChelleAngella wrote:Hey that's very cool [especially since anything native indian is your specialty]..
I hope you're having a great time with the project and it's coming along fine

It is coming along fine, Michelle, and actually I'm having a blast. :D The lettering is a little boring right now, but it looks so much better than it did I get that cozy little feeling inside. (I'm sure you know what I mean.) I guess I should take a pic to show that part so you all can see the difference. Even if it is just letters. I'll do that Monday. :wink:

anthony wrote:BTW, Gary, don't forget to factor in gin 'for a steady hand' in your cost of production :lol:

I should have thought about that, Tony! Darn, you always come up with the best ideas!
I gotta think about how to do that 'after the fact'.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
LazyArts Studios
Passionate poster
Passionate poster

Postby LazyArts Studios » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:13 pm

I'm sorry to tell you my friend.. but i fear you have indeed died and gone to heaven. LOL. Congrats. I would love to get a gig like this.
If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life.
http://lazyartstudio.blogspot.com/
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:02 pm

This is a picture I took a few days ago. Finally got time to get it here. It's certainly not much but one can see the difference some paint can make. I'm putting an eagle and an Indian with a head-dress at the other end...........when I get there. :wink:
sign 023.JPG

Oh..........I have to wait until we turn it upside down to finish the 'D'. :lol:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
anthony
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Gary Dee wrote:Oh..........I have to wait until we turn it upside down to finish the 'D'. :lol:

why do you have to turn it upside down Gary?
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:34 am

anthony wrote:
Gary Dee wrote:Oh..........I have to wait until we turn it upside down to finish the 'D'. :lol:

why do you have to turn it upside down Gary?

Because it has to be exact. I can't paint a precise line on the left of my right hand unless I'm standing on my head. :lol: All of the other letters are mostly masked off, except for the small details. The D I didn't want to go any further. If I screw up, there is no way to fix it except to paint the entire background of the sign. Same with the 'S's. :lol:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:03 am

This is the progress I have made on the sign. They let me add my 'artwork' to the right. (eagle and Indian) It is about ready to be "turned upside down" (don't laugh, Anthony :lol: ) I'm hoping to finish next week.
Everything below the red lettering had to be done 'freehand'. :shock:

sign 025.JPG
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

SharsArt
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:13 am

Your sign project is coming along beautifully, Gary! Kudo's

Getting 'creative license' is the kind of commission I dream for, you're so lucky. Moreover, I think they'll be highly pleased with the finished work.

Not to make you come completely out of retirement by adding more work, but have you considered putting something alittle smaller on the other side to 'frame it in?'
Just curious... it's looking very nice so far just the way it is.

Thank you for sharing it with us! :D
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:32 am

SharsArt wrote:something alittle smaller on the other side to 'frame it in?'

You're exactly right, Shar, I have thought about it. I wanted to put a falls (duh - Indian Falls).......but there was so little room and management, from the start, stipulated the lettering wasn't to be "surrounded" by anything. :(
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:29 am

When I first thought about this commission and was given the go ahead, I had envisioned and was excited about adding some of my 'usual' art work. 8)

Well.........even after many years of painting, one never stops learning, so I wanted to share this with you. (I know it may not be anything new to many of you.) As many of you already know, I'm really into 'detail'. However, I have never painted anything which is meant to be seen from "far away". (like driving by on a road from 40 to 50 feet away) :wink:

I found that to me it is an entirely different perspective. :shock: Detail is utterly 'lost' and certain things have to be extremely 'highlighted' for the subject to even be recognized. I soon learned this after painting a bit and then getting back about 25/35 feet to 'check it out'. I was walking back and forth this way for quite a while until I learned to 'adapt' to a new 'style' of painting. So if any of you ever get a commission like this and it is new to you, get ready for a new challenge. :D

In putting up the finished project (1 of 2) one of our maintenance guys clears a bush which would have covered up the 'subjects'.
sign 032.JPG

Then up it goes.
sign 034.JPG

It is yet to be 'framed', but here are some different 'perspectives'.
sign 035.JPG

sign 040.JPG
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

Return to “Visual arts”