To top

Photoshop tutorial - Cherry from scratch

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Photoshop tutorial - Cherry from scratch

Postby bloodjelly » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:43 pm

Alrighty folks, in this tutorial we're going to learn how to make a fairly realistic, yummy yummy red cherry. Off we go...

Step 1: Create a new layer. Now, using the elliptical select/marquee tool, make a circle on your canvas. You can do this by holding SHIFT and click-dragging. Fill it with a nice cherry red.

Step 2: Copy the circle layer by clicking LAYERS > DUPLICATE LAYER. Hide the bottom red circle layer by clicking the small eye icon in the layers panel.

Step 3: Now, using the same elliptical select tool as in Step 1, "chomp" an edge off the top of the circle, like below. Just select and hit "Delete".

Step 4: Double click the chomped circle layer to bring up its effects menu. Click "Gradient Overlay", and set a linear gradient to 40% opacity, "Linear Burn" blend mode, an angle of 120 degrees and a scale of 90%.

Step 5: Select the pen tool by pressing "P". With white as your foreground color, draw in some reflections, as shown below.

Now, make the opacity of the top reflection 15% and the bottom 8%. I added a gradient to the bottom reflection as well, going from light no top to dark on the bottom the same way as we did on the circle before.

Using the paintbrush tool and a medium-hard brush, make a 100% white dot, as shown below, on a new layer.

Step 6: Create another new layer and make a small circular selection near the middle-left of the cherry.

Go to SELECT > FEATHER and feather it as much as you can. I did 30px. Fill with black, and set the opacity of this new layer to 40%, and the blend mode to "Overlay".

Step 7: Now comes the free-wheelin' part. Select the burn tool by hitting the letter "O". Now, with the chomped cherry layer selected and the burn exposure set to 10%, burn the top, chomped edge a bit.

I've turned off the highlights so you can see the burned edge better, below.

Step 8: Remember that red circle layer you made in step 1 and hid? Well, now it's time for him to strut his stuff. Reveal the layer, and burn the top edge like you did in the previous step. You should have something that looks like this:

I did a subtle change here if you couldn't tell, and selected all layers, then hit CTRL+T, and squeezed the circle in a little bit so it wasn't quite so perfectly round.

Step 9: Starting to look like a cherry now, isn't it? Now for the stem. Stems start thicker at the base and end thicker, too. Draw one in with a dark green using the pen tool, like so:

You can adjust the path ex post facto using the pen tool and holding CTRL.

Step 10: If the stem is not already in between the circle and the chomped circle layer, drag it there. With the basic stem done,try burning the right edge to make it look more rounded, and I duplicated the layer and then painted the top stem layer a greenish yellow.

I then added about 2% noise on the top yellow stem layer, and set its opacity to 40% to get this:

MERGE both stem layers by SHIFT-clicking them in the layers palette, right clicking and selecting "Merge Layers".

Step 11: Here's a sneaky way to get lines in your stem that match the curve and everything. First, select your stem layer. Now, holding the ALT and SHIFT keys, left-click on the stem itself. Drag it a bit to the right. Unclick everything and repeat twice. You should have three new stem layers, each one a bit right of the one before it.

Select all three of the new stem layers and click "Merge Layers". Now, CTRL+click your original stem layer, hit CTRL+SHIFT+I, and hit delete. Everything outside your original stem should be gone and you should have some nice stem lines going on.

Step 12: Let's not leave out the reflections and shadows caused by our stem! If you haven't, rasterize your top shape reflection layer by right clicking it and selecting "Rasterize Layer". Now, make a selection in the shape of a slight frown, click delete, and you're in business!

Hope that you like this tutorial. If you try it, post your results! I'm sure you can do better than this. ;)
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:44 pm

lorikitty
Substantial poster
Substantial poster

Postby lorikitty » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:04 pm

aaah! that burn tool is handier than I first realized. I tried it for a while but it made things look weird. guess I was using it wrong :)
I love how you trickily did the separate layer thing for the cherry part of the cherry, burning the edge of one and then the other. that's awesome.

also, I want your green cherry. :D
apple cherry?
~lorikitty
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:54 am

lorikitty wrote:aaah! that burn tool is handier than I first realized. I tried it for a while but it made things look weird. guess I was using it wrong :)
I love how you trickily did the separate layer thing for the cherry part of the cherry, burning the edge of one and then the other. that's awesome.

also, I want your green cherry. :D
apple cherry?

Yeah, the burn tool can be handy. It can also dull things down quite a bit with a gray cast, but for this it worked out ok. You can have the green cherry, but you can make your own now too! And it's not apple, it's broccoli. mmmmmmmmm....broccoli....
lorikitty
Substantial poster
Substantial poster

Postby lorikitty » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:03 pm

broccoli cherry XD
now -that- sounds WEIRD :)
~lorikitty

bungeebunny55
New poster
New poster

Postby bungeebunny55 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:12 pm

hmm... I couldn't really get the pen thing to work for me. I can't use the pen much at all, for that matter. How did you do the shadow of the whole cherry? did you just draw it in then reduce the opacity?
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:01 pm

bungeebunny55 wrote:hmm... I couldn't really get the pen thing to work for me. I can't use the pen much at all, for that matter. How did you do the shadow of the whole cherry? did you just draw it in then reduce the opacity?

The pen's really weird and takes practice, but once you get the hang of it it's killer. A good way to learn the ins and outs is to trace a simple image with it. Just remember you're really setting points and adjusting the curve of the line between the points, rather than "drawing".

The cherry shadow was created by copying the finished cherry shape, then transforming it with free transform (CTRL+T). I reduced the opacity and gave it a slight red color as well. Finally, I added a feathered dark gray shadow between that and the cherry. Does that make sense? :P
reitchelazan
New poster
New poster

Re: Photoshop tutorial - Cherry from scratch

Postby reitchelazan » Fri May 28, 2010 11:36 pm

Last edited by reitchelazan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
printbucket
Substantial poster
Substantial poster

Re: Photoshop tutorial - Cherry from scratch

Postby printbucket » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:25 pm

Thanks for sharing bloodjelly. This is a really cool and simple tutorial. I really like how you the reflection was made. Maybe next time, you can play with the reflections alone.

Return to “Art Studio”