To top

Help restoring photo with PSP7?

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Help restoring photo with PSP7?

Postby Carson Collins » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Here's the damaged photo, there it is after a few thousand clicks of the clone brush. Now I'm stumped: how to correct the discolored area, for example on the grafitti wall just behind Jimbo's grave?
Attachments
JimandI4FM2.jpg
JimandI4FM2.jpg (42.2 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
JimandI4FM.jpg
JimandI4FM.jpg (56.34 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:58 pm

I'm going to have to look at this again tomorrow, but since there is so much discoloration, what about desaturating the whole thing, then coloring by hand (I know, I know) with each section (outfit, cat, bottle, table, grave, etc) on its own layer? Otherwise, go into selective colors and play around with the magenta and reds, especially. I think this might be too far gone for that, though :(
Sunny
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby Sunny » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:45 am

bloodjelly wrote:Otherwise, go into selective colors and play around with the magenta and reds, especially. I think this might be too far gone for that, though :(

I tried doing this but it didn't work. I think I would do it in a grayscale and then maybe just sepia. It's really a lovely pic and I wouldn't want to lose it either but I'd be happy to have in bw.
Art in Soul Studios
http://www.geocities.com/sunny4art
The soul has reasons that reason cannot fathom.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:46 am

Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated! Here's some progress. I went to Colors -> Split Channel -> Split to RGB and then selected the Red image, voila. For the second version I went to Colors -> Histogram Functions -> Stretch and this brought back a lot of the lost contrast, making the lettering on Jimbo's headstone more legible, etc.

Beter B&W than nothing! But I still think that the restoration of the color photo is an interesting (and, for me, difficult) challenge... Maybe something could be done with masks and layers? There's a lot of PSP7 that I don't have a clue about...
Attachments
JimandI4FM2RedsplitStretch.jpg
JimandI4FM2RedsplitStretch.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 4356 times
JimandI4FM2Redsplit.jpg
JimandI4FM2Redsplit.jpg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
Last edited by Carson Collins on Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:04 pm

Already looks better, just bump the highlights a bit.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:59 pm

bump the highlights a bit.

What would be a good way of doing that? If I increase the contrast, the stain starts to come back... Of course, I can now go to work with the clone brush on the B&W version...
After that I'll attempt to colorize it.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:25 pm

Instead of using the contrast tool, try levels. In levels you can adjust shadows, midtones and highlights independently, which gives you way more control.

I quickly (disclaimer if it sucks) played around with the photo in levels, then went in with the dodge tool and lightened up some of the parts that were distracting, like shadows near the cat and behind the bottles. I then burned in the cat a bit, and the rest of the stars of the image like you (your arm was a bit light) and the bottles a tad. At the end I added a very faint sepia tone and faux old frame, which I think are a little cheesy, but I figured what the hell.

With a little bit of effort, well a lot maybe, you could make the gravestone more readable and the rest of the image pop by painting in highlights and shadows where needed. Not sure how much time you want to spend working this photo, though. :)
Attachments
hamlet-edit.jpg
hamlet-edit.jpg (120.27 KiB) Viewed 4337 times
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:53 pm

I like it! Yes, I want to have the gravestone and the grafitti on the wall be more sharply defined. There isn't a lot to work with... as far as time spent, I'm laid off work at the production co. (There's never anything muuch going on this time of the year), I'm "between" studios, and I have a broken ankle. Time to fool around with stuff like this is about all I've got.
Sunny
Postaholic
Postaholic

Postby Sunny » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:57 pm

Well I loved the guy so here's my attempt and is that you in the pic?
Attachments
jimandi4fm_470.jpg
jimandi4fm_470.jpg (123.93 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
Last edited by Sunny on Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art in Soul Studios

http://www.geocities.com/sunny4art

The soul has reasons that reason cannot fathom.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:11 pm

Yours definitely pops better, Sunny, I like it.

Return to “Art Studio”