Favorite 5 Bands

Who's your favorite?

Favorite Genre?

Total votes: 109
New poster
New poster

Favorite 5 Bands

Postby serge » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

i love so many bands its hard to choose....but here's the top 5.

1. In Flames
2. (old) Metallica
3. Evergreen Terrace
4. 40 below summer
5. Trivium
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

5 favorite ("rock") bands

Postby Carson Collins » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:08 pm

1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience
2. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
3. Jim Morrison and The Doors
4. Jello Biafra and the Dead Kennedys
5. Eddie Hazel and Parlaiment/Funkadelic
(yes I am an old fart, born in '53)

Top 5

Postby Florian » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:21 pm

1. Pink Floyd
2. Enigma
3. Korn
4. The Beatles
5. Beethoven, #9 is the best.

Postby Rez » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:23 am

1. Underworld
album-oriented electronic music best describes it i think. it's techno/house/ambient music structured into conventional "song" format instead of club "tracks" (which they also do at times). there's amazing poetry and artwork, aided by their own art collective, Tomato. their music has helped me in ways no other music have. the visual quality that i hear in their music has essentially led me to where i am today, artistically. they've opened up worlds of possibility and new ways of thinking about my surroundings.

2. Autechre
do you know of a group that's been a major player in CREATING a genre of music? and after 15 years of making it, STILL manage to evolve past the bottomless barrel of those copying them and create one of the more amazing and original albums this year? there arent that many are there? since 1990, and twice as much since 98, this group has constantly defined, and then redefined for biters around the world the direction of the ill-titled "IDM" which to them is digitally mashing impossible rhythms and gorgeous (and subtle) melodies.

3. Sigur Ros - this icelandic group have been rapidly rising up my personal list since 1999's "Agaetis Byrjun," an innovative, beauticful, richly layered, and orchestral post-rock album that was never expected to see light past it's homeland until word-of-mouth made it explode worldwide, even landing it a spot in Vanilla Sky and CSI soundtracks, then came "odin's raven magic" a still unreleased concert of incredible beauty and drama (it was based on old norse texts and myths previously thought to be faked and hence ignored), then an untitled album that was as as difficult as it was meditative, but ultimately rewarding, and now, with the release of "takk" on september 12 (which i've been listening to for the past month now), they're poised to release an album that even surpasses the one that introduced me to them.

4. Radiohead
everything has been said about them. all paths and speculations have been done. and everytime i put on an album, it still sounds the same as it ever did. they remain exciting, honest, and inspiring.

5. Daft Punk
i am 11 years old. it's 1996. do you know how critical that age is in terms of music? who i loved then ( like beck) i now instinctively consider them today as bands that will never ever ever go away, and once they do i will be forced to recognize that i'm in my 20s now and the world will now change for the worst. Daft Punk's Homework, a Gallic spin on house music, is one of the most important albums to me,'s music that is for children and adults alike. it was an unsettling introduction to the world of electronic, it was funky, it was french, it sounded insanely different than anything else i had heard, and once i got accustomed to it, followed me everywhere i went. it was important as hell to electronic music adults as well, 3 years after it's release, it's influence already apparent, it was an obvious classic. it forebode the rejuvenation of the then ridiculous french pop. when others tried and failed, they pushed the form out for everyone to see and learn from with 2001's Discovery. a french take on Japanese culture that was more focused, more reasonably jubilant, and insanely fresh. twice now have they totally re-arranged how music, mainstream or otherwise, is produced TODAY. they've explored the region of DVD, making a full length anime of Discovery with legend Leiji Matsumoto. their third album, human after all, had much less of an impact. their motivations not really clear, the music essentially unvarying through 40 minutes, and it was badly received, despite a couple minor hits on ipod commercials. i still liked it, but could understand why i was a severe minority. due to their impact on me, and the release of 2 stellar albums and one good one, they are my 5th hard won spot.

as for favorite genre, well, since techno (or electronic for that matter) isnt on radar, i'm going with pop. pharell and co.(the lines between pop and rap are getting more blurry by the minute, thanks kanye west) are doing more today to bust barriers than what the rock scene is doing today, which is littered with retro-rock garbage like franz ferdinand. the white stripes are your only goddamn hope these days. and maybe sufjan stevens if people today have the sense to give props to who's due.
Passionate poster
Passionate poster

Postby wendyc » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:05 am

Linkin Park /STAIND

Stone Temple Pilots

Led Zepplin

There is no possible way to name so few...I had to just not think about the band...and consider who I would choose over the other...if they were all on a radio station all at once. However any thought behind it could mess me all thats my final answer..
If it weren't for denial...I would be crazy!
Passionate poster
Passionate poster

Postby gothtwinz » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:25 pm

:twisted: Top five is impossible really.

Front Line Assembly, Haujobb, Curve, Front 242, Orbital, Underworld, Funker Voigt, Sulphur, Depeche Mode, Kate Bush, Sigur Ros, VNV Nation, Noise Unit, Delerium, Intermix,Male or Female, Conjure One,This Mortal Coil,Dead Can Dance,Dusted, The Cure, Sisters of Mercy, Recoil, Aphex Twin,MIke Oldfield,James Horner, Lisa Gerrard,Mad Capsule Market...and on...and on.......and...on................whoops did I go over five? (Fav catagory isn't up there....INDUSTRIAL)

Postby Rez » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:50 am

i've been meaning to find you in this thread...
because you need to listen to a duo named the British Murder Boys (regis and surgeon).
like right now.
as much as i like industrial, it gets reall cheesy for me way too often, so when a group such as this takes the industrial aesthetic and applies it to straight techno, we get a no-frills/all-awesome robust mix of dark and thick tracks.

i dont even know what the f-stop i'm talking about anymore, i should just upload (YSI) it so you could hear it.
British Murder Boys - Live at Brighton

i'd advise skipping the first 14 minutes or so due to bad sound, which somehow gets better at around that mark, and it's all my kind of bliss from there.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:24 am

Um, excuse me Florian, but are you sure "Beethoven" is a "Group"? (the odd numbers are best: 5,7,and 9) :D
Substantial poster
Substantial poster

Postby katgirl918 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:44 pm

System of a Down

The Doors

Pink Floyd

Marilyn Manson

Peace Ya'll :D
Passionate poster
Passionate poster

Postby oleandervyce » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:12 am

1. A Perfect Circle
2. Queens of the Stone Age
3. Marilyn Manson
4. The Pillows
5. Dope

--I can go on, but I think I'll leave it at that for now. :P
"I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse--I suspect people of plotting to make me happy." - J.D. Salinger

Return to “Music”