To top

Photoshop tutorial - Realistic chalk font/text

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Photoshop tutorial - Realistic chalk font/text

Postby bloodjelly » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:23 pm

There are fonts out there that pretend to look like chalkboard writing, but when it comes down to it, they just don't. In this Photoshop tutorial you'll learn how to create a realistic looking chalkboard text effect that's simple to do. Off we go...

Step 1: Get yourself a nice chalkboard image.where your text (or image) will go. I've picked the one below. The higher resolution the better, especially if you're printing. Shoot for 300 DPI in that case to get a photo-realistic chalk effect.

Step 2: Download the free font Kindergarten, or use some other scripty looking font that you have gathering dust. Remember, to install a font on a Windows machine, you can just go to your control panel, select "Fonts", and drag the font into the folder.

Step 3: With your chalkboard image open, select the text tool ("T"). Make sure the font you want is selected and type your text in a very slightly greyed tone.

Step 4: Now, duplicate your text layer by dragging and dropping it to the new layer icon in the Layers panel (shown below).

Step 5: Right-click the bottom text layer and hit "Rasterize Layer". Double-click this rasterized text layer to bring up the effects menu. (It helps if you hide the top text layer from view by clicking on the eye icon in the layers panel).

Step 6: With the effects panel up on this rasterized layer, click "Stroke" and set a 1 pixel, outside stroke in the same color as the chalkboard text. Set the blend mode to "Dissolve", and the opacity to 30%. You should get something that looks like this:

Step 7: Click "Pattern" and set the blend mode to "Dissolve". Almost any pattern will do. Play with the settings until you get something like this:

Step 7: Now go to LAYER > LAYER STYLE > CREATE LAYER. This will turn separate the effects layer from the type layer. Link the two in the layers panel, then click the little arrow in the upper right corner of the layers panel and select "Merge linked".

Step 8: Your "fuzzy" layer should look just like it did in step 6. Go to FILTER > GAUSSIAN BLUR and blur it will a radius of about 0.3 pixels or so. Make the top text layer visible (that you duplicated in step 4), make sure it's above the layer you've been working with, and set its blend mode to "Soft light". You should have something that looks like this:

There you have it. Once you've got the steps down this effect is pretty quick to recreate. Mess around with the smudge and soften tools to make the text look as if it was touched when writing it. Hope this tutorial's useful to you. :)
Pants the Bunny
New poster
New poster

Postby Pants the Bunny » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:11 pm

Could you post a link or e-mail me the file you used for that, but with 300 DPI? I'd be much obliged.
Ky0suke
New poster
New poster

Postby Ky0suke » Fri May 05, 2006 1:29 am

BloodJelly... you are a God among Gods in my eyes. This has been EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Thank you very much!
"Hoka ni wo Nanimo Iranai, Anata ga ireba. Sora mo, Kumo mo, Machi mo, Hana Sae mo..."
As long as you are around, I need nothing. Not the sky, not the clouds, not this town, not even flowers...
-[Fumiko Orikasa, "Hoshi no Hate"]-
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Fri May 05, 2006 9:38 am

Ky0suke wrote:BloodJelly... you are a God among Gods in my eyes. This has been EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Thank you very much!

:lol: Glad it's going to work for you. Can you post what you come up with?
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:34 am

Here are some good free chalk fonts: http://www.free-fonts.com/cgi-bin1/fsea ... arch=chalk
akaleus
New poster
New poster

Re: Photoshop tutorial - Realistic chalk font/text

Postby akaleus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:16 am

This is an awesome tutorial. It works great with logos and other things as well that you want to give the appearance of chalk.

Thanks much!
thirddesign
New poster
New poster

Postby thirddesign » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Awesome, I was searching for something like this. Perfect, i am going to use this for a T-Shirt I am designing. Visit the work on ThirdDesign.net
Thanks Again
RobertB
thirdDesign
http://www.flickr.com/thirddesign
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:58 pm

Glad you guys like it. Let us know when that T is out, Rob, I'd like to see it.
DrayeArt
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:56 pm

Wouldn't it be easier just to set up a camera in front of a chalkboard, and shoot a picture of it? :lol:

By the way, how do you make a realistic chalkboard?
NEW TUTORIAL: GET ANIMATED CLICK HERE
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:20 am

DrayeArt wrote:By the way, how do you make a realistic chalkboard?

Take a picture of it. :P

Return to “Art Studio”