To top

Need some help

Post design/commercial art oriented graphics here. Logos, ads and the like.
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Need some help

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:15 am

I just got my first client with my Graphics Design company im starting. its small time, just me at home with a computer.

I'm trying to figure whats a good amount to charge, they want a logo, and product labels. i dont want to over or under charges, so help please.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Re: Need some help

Postby bloodjelly » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:24 am

Congratulations, first off! 8) Here's a good article with links to other articles specific to design that might help you. We also have an article on pricing art.

With logos I charge more than I would for a brochure, say, even if they both took the same amount of time. A good logo serves as a basis for future designs (your labels, for example), and is a big part of a company's identity. Depending on the complexity of the graphic, I know designers charge anywhere from $500 - $3,000 and up, but since you're brand new I'd keep it on the lower end of the spectrum. Personally I'd rather charge a little less and get a recommendation than charge too much and leave a bad taste in their mouth. I also would be weary of charging too much less and getting recommendations to cheapo clients that want a project done for next to nothing.

Let me know how this goes! Hopefully you have a good client to start with that doesn't want to micromanage everything you do, or give you 1,000 ambiguous revisions (Can you move the top part up and change the blue to a more 'bluer' color?) Design the logo as a vector, make sure it looks good in black and white and small and large, and you're on your way! Good luck 8)
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Re: Need some help

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:55 am

Thank you for the info, i'm looking through it now. Some stuff that was never taught in school. I have the first meeting start of next week. ill let you all know how it goes, again thank you.

Return to “Graphic design”