To top

Presidential / political logo design

Post design/commercial art oriented graphics here. Logos, ads and the like.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Presidential / political logo design

Postby bloodjelly » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:13 am

Here's a cool article comparing the Bush/Cheney logo with the Kerry/Edwards logo: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/09/opinion/09dadich.html

I've attached the image they use to compare the two. Even though it's grayscale you can still see the differences well.

This is similar to what I talked about in this thread: http://www.foundmyself.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=291

I can't prove it, but I have a pretty good feeling that good ol' Scott Dadich might have "borrowed" my idea. :silenced: :wink:
Attachments
20041010_oped2_lg.gif
The NY Times logo comparison
20041010_oped2_lg.gif (76.5 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
Rez
Postaholic

Postby Rez » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:44 pm

i would mainly agree with that, except for the font business..

the bush logo does exude "all that is MAN" and strength, but it italicizing it while also in bold also implies acute stubborness while pressing forward. i was careful before i said this because that sounds like very obvious personal bias, but i think it's still an impartial judgement. and also because more and more people seem to favor this sort of thing. it's a better response to those in fear or in need, however than the kerry sticker.

kerry edwards might have conflicting font configuration, but it is, or very close to, the trusted, default "times new roman" a thinner, more effete and sophisticated font, it carries brunt authority only when commanded to, on it's own it stands up for integrity (something kerry emphasized in the last debate). the stonger america phrase at the bottom may seem misplaced under scrutiny such as this, but when one places it as a bumper sticker on their car, you see that "a stonger america" UNDERLINES "kerry edwards. implying both go together. the flag is something that needs reworking, for yes, it is completely unimaginative, while the bush flag carries it's rigid, no-bull message to the full.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:24 am

Good points Rez. I think both logos effectively portray the philosophy behind each camp, weaknesses and strengths alike. I think the font Kerry/Edwards use is Georgia, but I could be wrong. It's pretty close. Here's an article about this typeface: http://www.will-harris.com/verdana-georgia.htm

I think one can look into these things too much, like the author of this artifcle that write the "loose spacing between the 'K' and the 'e'" in Kerry's name "communicates inexperience". Maybe it's just that kerning it down any more would completely scrunch the letters and make him appear less inexperienced and more more like a tight ass. As it is the spacing doesn't give me the idea of inexperience.

The similar sized fonts for both Kerry and and Edward's names are a bit misleading, as both seem to have equal importance, yet Kerry is the main person we are voting for. Bush's logo is much clearer in this respect.

Kerry should definitely do something with the American flag like you said, rez. It's a piece of crap and looks awkward. More flowing curves and elegant lines would work much better.

Anyway, they're both more or less fine at getting their message across, and in a few weeks none of this will matter. But the designers/parties (mostly on Kerry's side) should work harder next time.
Attachments
kerry_edwards_font_georgia.gif
John Kerry and John Edwards' logo font Georgia. At least I think it is, you be the judge. I report, you decide!
kerry_edwards_font_georgia.gif (6.02 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
DrayeArt
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:53 pm

We should have a campaign poster contest this year. Just for kicks. :lol:
NEW TUTORIAL: GET ANIMATED CLICK HERE
Rez
Postaholic

Re: Presidential / political logo design

Postby Rez » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 am

i agree with this actually.

this thread was the reason so long ago that i was excited to take a message campaign class. getting to the nitty gritty of the public view
unfortunately sylva plays fast and loose and we didnt learn much of anything except that you cant trust people to recognize anything unless you slap them with it.
serenaaharris
New poster

Re: Presidential / political logo design

Postby serenaaharris » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:49 am

nice

Return to “Graphic design”