To top

Any tool for creating artistic bitmap font?

Post design/commercial art oriented graphics here. Logos, ads and the like.
Obelisk
New poster

Any tool for creating artistic bitmap font?

Postby Obelisk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:46 am

Hi everyone,

Currently I intend to create a bitmap font with just basic characters (A - Z, 0 - 9, and some punctuation marks).

I tried this tool http://www.high-logi...ontcreator.html and it was helpful... just in publishing bitmap fonts from true type fonts. When it comes to creating fonts with some art effects, for instance, characters with their shadow, characters that have grass-like skin, or a little outter-glow effect ..etc.. I must do the following things:

1. Define the desired effects (using Photoshop or similar tools).
2. Type the character using Text tool, apply the defined effects to the Text layer.
3. Trim that layer, leave the background transparent, publish EACH character in a .PNG file.
4. Using tools like Texture Packer to create a bitmap font from those .PNGs, for being read later by programmer's code.

Therefore, even changing the skin of font is a boring, terrible task to me... Not to mentioned creating another font with same effects... @[email protected]

If you guys know about tools that allow adding effects, or useful features of Photoshop such as "auto arrange characters cell-by-cell", ..etc.. please let me know ~^^~

My deeply thanks for your sharing :)
Steve Labours_428
Passionate poster

Re: Any tool for creating artistic bitmap font?

Postby Steve Labours_428 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:22 pm

You appear to be the subject matter expert! I didn't even know about this...
"...Those who work deserve their pay!" 1 Timothy 5:18
Alec20
New poster

Postby Alec20 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:01 am

I think that is just to confusing. I can't do this now seeing I have a web design project for school and I am designing v4 for my design site.
Anastasiy
New poster

Postby Anastasiy » Sat May 09, 2015 11:58 am

The easiest way I think is to type your text in Photoshop, then change the font and then apply the desired graphic effect.

Return to “Graphic design”