Please enter a valid username

Show Please type a password

Forgot your password?

Please enter your username

Please enter a valid email

Show Please type a password

Lost your password? Enter your email address to reset it.

Please enter a valid email

Back to log-in

Close

Drawing tips before oil painting?

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
Lisa
New poster
Drawing tips before oil painting?

Postby Lisa » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:00 am

Ok . Before I paint, I do a sketch. Not in pencil because it hard to erase off canvas and can show through paint, so I use charcoal. But charcoal smudges when you start painting. I used a fixative, but I found that it can create a barrier of sorts and prevent your paint and medium from absorbing/holding to the canvas and messes up your painting. And I can't sketch with a brush, I'm more comfortable and successful with charcoal or pencil.

How can I sketch but not have the medium (charcoal/or graphite) interfere and mix with my oil paints?
May MacLeod Studio

Re: Drawing tips before oil painting?

Postby May MacLeod Studio » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:01 am

Use a dark colored pencil on your canvas. It works like a charm. Also, if you slightly wet the lines, you can smudge them with your finger or a brush. They dry very quickly and shouldn't leave a mess. Experiment with this. Try various colors. It's awesome!
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:46 pm

in collage my painting Prof, said to try water color pencils.
sean123
New poster

Postby sean123 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:37 am

Draw your sketch in charcoal first - as much detail as you deem necessary. Then when you are ready to go on to working with paint, take a clean cotton rag ( an old T-shirt) and beginning at he top of the canvas start to flick that rag onto the surface of the canvas (a bit like whipping the canvas). You will remove excess charcoal and be left with the basic outline of your drawing. A faint drawing that you can begin to paint onto.
If you have time, it helps a lot to use pen and ink to re-establish the line. The ink will stay dry and not interfere with your oil paint.
Fixative will create a barrier between paint and canvas and shouldn't be used in this way.
Don't forget that if you use ink, then it could show through in thin areas of oil painting.
Try it, it's the best way! sean at http://www.bigfatbrush.com :D
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 pm

when i start i use either a black or white charcoal pencil and only use it lightly. how ever i use acrylics.
andre
Passionate poster

Postby andre » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:22 am

Lisa wrote:Ok . Before I paint, I do a sketch. Not in pencil because it hard to erase off canvas and can show through paint, so I use charcoal. But charcoal smudges when you start painting. I used a fixative, but I found that it can create a barrier of sorts and prevent your paint and medium from absorbing/holding to the canvas and messes up your painting. And I can't sketch with a brush, I'm more comfortable and successful with charcoal or pencil.

How can I sketch but not have the medium (charcoal/or graphite) interfere and mix with my oil paints?

I always draw with a pencel first and the pencelstrippes dont come true the painting
yakovvencel
New poster

Postby yakovvencel » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi..,
I use colored pencils to sketch before painting...
Using Erasble Colored Pencils is also best Opt..
Yehuda
New poster

Postby Yehuda » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:50 pm

I also want to contribute by giving an exceptional tips about Oil paintings .Do not paint new paintings over old ones. No amount of scraping and
sanding will prevent an old image reappearing beneath the new one.
As the oil paint dries it becomes more transparent. Many fifteenth and
sixteenth century paintings of old masters show the effects of this
phenomenon where master has tried to correct the placement of the
form and the old image is now showing through the top one.
KacperMichalczuk
New poster

Postby KacperMichalczuk » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:20 am

For every beginner I strongly recommend online courses. This is course I recommend the most: https://drawing-session.com

I think the thing that kept me from LOVING this course is that it wasn't quite what I was expecting... From the title and description and other similar courses I've seen I expected that there would be ideas for doing, well, ONE DRAWING a day for six weeks... One... Drawing... and I kind of hoped it'd be something simple enough I could bang off in an hour (give or take)... maybe something I could work on during a spare moment while I'm out and about and waiting for something...? Not so much...

Many of the exercises involve drawing more than one drawing. Many of the exercises involve more than drawing - there are a lot involving watercolour painting and a few involving collage and even scanning and manipulating stuff in photoshop. And many of the projects involved expeditions or field trips around town (or out of town) to specific types of locations.

Many of the exercises also weren't really something I felt like I could read in the morning, or perhaps the evening before, and be able to say "yeah I think I could fit that into my day..." They seemed like they would need a bit of planning before setting out. While this is billed as a "6-week Course Exploring Creativity..." I doubt many would be able to do this on the side while working a regular day job. Maybe if you were working a part time job...? Or if you took 6 weeks off and tried to do these all as an intensive "kick start your creativity" course...? Maybe then you could get through it all in 6-weeks...

Also, though the exercises are grouped in chapters with similar themes; Line and Mark, Playing with Colour, People Watching and Capturing Motion, Close to Home, etc... But there really wasn't a sense of learning something in one exercise and then building on that in the following exercises. In fact the author suggests in the introduction doing them in whichever order you wish. But I kind of feel like something that's described as a "course" could have had a bit more structure to it, with some of the exercises building on ideas/skills presented and practiced in previous exercises.

I guess in summary I'd say; Great art, lots of fun and inspiring exercises , but don't expect to be able to do them all in 6-weeks/42 consecutive days while living a normal life with a regular day job.

Return to “Art Studio”