To top

A question about making prints...

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
MERisk
Passionate poster

A question about making prints...

Postby MERisk » Sat May 07, 2016 9:00 pm

Hello everyone!

I have just started to explore the option of making prints of my work. My question for everyone is this: Do you limit your prints (i.e. #/10 or #/20 and so on) for each piece? Or do you make prints continuously for certain pieces? What are the pros and cons of each option? I'm trying to figure out what I should start out with. For example, I have a couple watercolors I had prints made and I'm trying to decide if I should only have a certain number made to increase the value or not disclose and ending to the prints.

Also, what do you do with the originals? Keep them or eventually sell them when the prints run out?

If any of that doesn't make sense, I'm happy to clarify!
Grandaddyearl
Postaholic

Re: A question about making prints...

Postby Grandaddyearl » Sun May 08, 2016 6:19 am

Made boxes of prints (300 each) and they presently sit in my basement taking up space. Found the audience wanted originals and not prints. Why not try 10 and see if they move. You can always make more. Grandaddyearl
Paintspatters
New poster

Postby Paintspatters » Wed May 11, 2016 10:28 am

For prints that are not fine art editions but copies / reproductions , you might begin with 1 or 2 images and I suggest 10 or 20 even less depending on the cost of the copies and leave the number open or choose print on demand. Price them at least to cover cost plus a bit of a margin. With reproductions the number in the edition does not count toward increasing the value, although some people and galleries may argue. Even artist signed reproductions do not hold greater value as time goes on. If there is value it may be in the signature itself if the artist is famous!
RandyTerrell
New poster

Postby RandyTerrell » Thu May 26, 2016 2:40 am

I too agree with the suggestion given. I am also an art lover and understands the value of this. Famous artist's signature is only enough. I am going through latest blogs to collect the information on art and hope so will also get to know about print copies and rates.
Megan
New poster

Postby Megan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:21 am

I am assuming here, that you are talking about reproductions and not actual prints?

I find that print on demand is a good way to go to ensure your customer is getting a quality new reproduction. Make sure the printers make your reproduction directly from the original when a client requests one. And unless you already have a gallery interested in a specific number of signed reproductions; you are signing those reproductions at an event or are supplying a limited edition for retail--it is not necessary to have a whole bunch sitting around, as they can easily degrade and as pointed out before, take up space--better used for creating new originals!

If you were referring to original prints, in my opinion, should always be limited edition. Same goes with giclees.

Return to “Art Studio”