To top

Art Studio Section

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
Lorena Shiffer
Postaholic

Re: Art Studio Section

Postby Lorena Shiffer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:18 pm

google searched small letters
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=small+ ... 8&fr=moz35.
you could use a tooth pick or exacto blade to place letters. Once varnished other should be permanent. Experiment 1st because lacquers can smear acrylics. Make sure your finish doesn't damage the actual letters
Lorena Shiffer
Postaholic

Postby Lorena Shiffer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:39 pm

its also possible to buy stencils that you make yourself. If too large use a copy machine to reduce down to the size you need
http://stencilletters.org/
Hope this gives you some useful ideas
Johnp1937
New poster

Postby Johnp1937 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:24 am

Carson Collins wrote:Interesting. I heard, years ago, that if one mixed acrylic paint with glycerine, it would slow the drying process; tried it and it didn't really work (dry time was slowed but not enough to be of any practical value).

Of course I use a pump-spray bottle of water to mist the surface when I'm working wet-on-wet (I suppose all acrylic painters do) but nobody ever told me to mix that water with glycerine. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tip. :)

I have found that Monopropylene glycol (MPG), which is an ingredient of many commercial retarders, is also very cheap on internet auction sites, and works very well as a diluent for most colours and a retarder. It does have problems with some insoluble earth pigments.. I am experimenting using dipropylene glycol (DPG), to see if it better in some cases. Both are used in the food and cosmetic industry, and are perfectly safe to use in art. Has anyone else tried either of these.

Return to “Art Studio”