To top

Taking pictures of paintings

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
AnneVenier
Substantial poster

Taking pictures of paintings

Postby AnneVenier » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Does anyone know how to take pictures of paintings? In a way that doesn't seem to leach the color out of the painting, that is. I tend to use larger canvases (approx 18 X 24in) and larger so it's not like I can just stick it in my scanner. Any advice would be appreciated.
alanminshull
Extreme poster

Re: Taking pictures of paintings

Postby alanminshull » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:10 pm

Ive always used a digital camera in daylight Anne. It has to have a minimum of 10 megapixels, all digital cameras come in different megapixel ranges, anything less and the detail will be blurred. Best to take them in broad daylight too. If you find that the color is leeched out, enhance it with either Microsoft picture manager or any good photo program, photoshop?

Hope that helps

Alan
"Why do we call our planet, planet Earth, when it is almost entirely covered in water"? Arthur C. Clarke.
Torontoartsgirl
Substantial poster

Postby Torontoartsgirl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:40 pm

I agree with the broad day light and perhaps taking them outside if you can.
let's explore the right side
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:36 pm

i found this to be very good help
Michael John Lewis
New poster

Postby Michael John Lewis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:04 pm

I agree with previous responders - outside, natural light - though, keep it turned away from direct sunlight. Regardless of how you feel about HDR photography... If you have the ability to take an HDR of your paintings, it will make ALL the difference. And, since it's of a painting, no Anti-HDR protest will come about! (you know who you are) haha
stonycurtis67
New poster

Postby stonycurtis67 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:37 pm

outside light it is then, thanks for the valuable info, I always have trouble with this part of the process.

-stony
Owl Jones
Substantial poster

Postby Owl Jones » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:06 am

Just make sure your "HDR" (do people still do that? hmm) photograph doesn't sell your painting for more than it's worth. You want your photographs of the art to look as close as possible like the actual piece or you may end up with unhappy customers.

If you're outside or in good natural light, you could get away with an 8 mp camera I think. Chances are, you're going to reduce the files size anyway to upload it to the web. ( You might as well, because not many people have a monitor capable of viewing mega-HD images.) Always keep a copy of the full -sized file on hand though - or you may end up having to re-take the photo if you find you need to use a larger image.

Investing in the basic (around $100 ) photoshop "elements" software is a good idea, too.
John Marsdon Watkins
Postaholic

Postby John Marsdon Watkins » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:57 pm

I use a Canon power shot A1100is with12.1 mega pixels .I shot indoors and get perfect results. This camera is easy to use,.has every thin you need. It was recommended to me by a pro and it sells my work. Price abt $135.00
John Marsdon Watkins
Postaholic

Postby John Marsdon Watkins » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:04 pm

John Marsdon Watkins wrote:I use a Canon power shot A1100is with12.1 mega pixels .I shot indoors and get perfect results. This camera is easy to use,.has every thin you need. It was recommended to me by a pro and it sells my work. Price abt $135.00
Update, just upgraded to a Canon power shot A2400 IS HD, 16.0 mega pixels.Love it.

Return to “Art Studio”