To top

So, what's my next move?

Learn any tricks of the trade you'd like to pass on? Post them here. Photoshop, Flash, and other tutorials can be found here.
Owl Jones
Substantial poster

So, what's my next move?

Postby Owl Jones » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:47 pm

I've uploaded art to a couple of sites, made a website, business cards, have a FB page, a twitter account and I'm interacting with folks without being too pushy for sales - I've got the social media thing about figured out in my 2+ years of "working it" for various causes, etc.

I talked to two galleries today - not much going on there - one almost laughed at my work - they do "fine" fine art, you see....and the other was more open to it but it's a pay-to-play at $20 a linear ft. of wall space. I just don't think we have the money to do that right now.

I'm going to join the local artist's guild this weekend and network with some local artists and such - but what I need help with is this:

Is there anything else that I could be doing that I'm not?

I'd appreciate any help, suggestions, "no, don't do that" kinda advice - anything you got - I'm open to anything at this point. I gotta move some of these paintings soon or the wife is going to force me to give back her dining room ( AKA: my drying and varnishing room! LOL )

Thanks everyone. Remember, any help is welcome - even if it's critical of how I'm doing things. I'll all ears. :)
acsunda
Postaholic

Re: So, what's my next move?

Postby acsunda » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:04 pm

I'd say your next logical move would be to buy a nice bottle of bourbon. No, seriously, I'm in the same boat, just graduated with an art education degree no teaching job, and no galleries clamoring for my work. I have all the fb, networking stuff. My suggestion would be looking at any and all juried exhibitions in the area, as well as community events where you could set up and show your work within the community. Also look online for juried exhibitions in other places. If this helps, where I live in central Kentucky we have Lexington Art League, and all of the juried shows have no entry fee, and are open to artists from all over. If you google them you'll find any and all upcoming shows you could apply to, in fact I just got rejected from one last week :) Hope this helps!
"Art is either plagiarism or revolution" -Paul Gauguin
Owl Jones
Substantial poster

Postby Owl Jones » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:19 am

Hey thanks man. You know that was actually really helpful - I hadn't thought of doing that! I was an art major in college, but that was half a lifetime ago. I've been away from art for so long, I felt just as confused jumping back into painting as I did when I learned how to fly fish. You take the what and put it where now you say? :)

I appreciate the reply! Good luck to you, too! It's a rough world out there right now.
acsunda
Postaholic

Postby acsunda » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:57 am

Thanks, glad I could help!
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:31 am

I remember my first visit to an art gallery, and they told me that they can't show my art because it's not real art... those words haunted me for a time...
The second, third, fourth galleries accepted my art immediately]...
So don't let one turn-down from a gallery discourage you.

There are other places to showcase your art apart from a gallery.
Libraries & bookstores for instance, will have your work on their walls without you having to pay for wall space.
Also you could make flyers or broshures with your best artworks in print, then distribute them around the places you think would suit your kind of art...
[for instance, seeing that you do fish paintings, if there are any beach clubs, marine or sea aquariums near to you, then leave some broshures with your art and contact information]. [that's how I do it.. :)
acsunda
Postaholic

Postby acsunda » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:16 am

The bookstore/library suggestion reminds me, if you know anybody who owns a local business, ask them. A lady who used to be my dad's secretary now run's a local comic shop, and I occasinally hang work in there, free of charge! So you never know where you might find wall space! Hell, I know a guy that's a butcher at Kroger, and he asked if he could put up a couple of his paintings (he does big 6 0r 7 ft. paintings) in the Lobby/ cart area windows, and they were delighted to have local art by a local artist featured in thier store. For them it shows ties to and support of the local community which is good for business.
Marsha Fitzgerald
Substantial poster

Postby Marsha Fitzgerald » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:07 pm

First of all, I'm still trying to figure out how to go about selling my art (when I have a decent collection) and have found your current accomplishments very helpful, so thank you for that.

You might want to also talk to some non-gallery establishments about possibly showing and selling your work, like corporations, restaurants, etc. For instance, I just noticed the other day that a local library is featuring an artist's photography for sale.

At any rate, wishing you all the best in your endeavors and congratulations on getting out there and working to make it happen.
telenor
New poster

Postby telenor » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:46 am

nice poooossssssttttt :D

Return to “Art Studio”