To top

What camera to buy

Digital or traditional, playful or serious. Post your photos here.
kevinharrisart1
Substantial poster

What camera to buy

Postby kevinharrisart1 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:47 am

Hi all I am very inexperienced with cameras etc and need to buy one to take photos of my paintings for entries into contests and prints and such. Would really appreciate some advice
Thank you in advance
ashyc3
New poster

Re: What camera to buy

Postby ashyc3 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:49 am

Hi Kevin

Have you any further information e.g. budget, what quality is required?

I expect if you are photographing your paintings you will want the camera to be of sufficient quality to capture the details but this can be achieved to a satisfactory level with a simple compact camera and good lighting. Personally I shoot my paintings with a canon 600d which is an entry level DSLR.

Best wishes

Ash
Photographs available from https://www.forestgallery.com
Quianna Blanc

Postby Quianna Blanc » Mon May 29, 2017 10:50 am

Kevin --

While either a Canon or a Nikon can do the job, like said by ashyc3, it depends on the budget. Before I got my Nikon, I used a pawned Fujifilm DSLR. It worked for photographing art in good lighting, but it just depends on how much you want to spend. I have a Nikon D3400, but I also do photography, so I would recommend getting a smaller, less expensive camera if you're just photographing art.

Hope that helps - also, the fujifilm is for sale (wink wink)
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:30 am

Here's another discussion on purchasing digital cameras with some good info: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11513

Good luck :D
verage
New poster

Postby verage » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:43 am

I think a digital camera would be sufficient for taking pictures. Moreover, some mobile cameras these days can do the job too.

Nikon Coolpix would serve the purpose already. No need for fancy DSLRs
Jai
New poster

Postby Jai » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:00 am

Panasonic GH5 what do you say?
hammad998
New poster

Postby hammad998 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:48 am

You did not Mentioned here that are you beginner or Professional in photography because this matters A Lot Here
John Marsdon Watkins
Passionate poster

Postby John Marsdon Watkins » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:50 am

As a wildlife artist ,professional model maker & craftsman i have used many different cameras . My first was a Cannon AE-1 35 mm film ( 1986 ) later when the digital cameras arrived i switched to cheaper pocket models which last only a few years but served the purpose very well . Today i use a Cannon POWER SHOT CLPH 100 cost about $ 130 . Sometimes it is not all about the Camera as much as it is knowing how to use it to the max . SOME cell phones especially the costly ones have excellent cameras that produce high quality work . I recommend to start at your budget level & knowledge level DO NOT start with something you can not manage . Just for your info . , i am 78 and been doing it a long time . JOHN

Return to “Photography”