To top

The Doppleganger Challenge

Waste of time? Heck no. Play and start your forum games here.
Teshia
Substantial poster

The Doppleganger Challenge

Postby Teshia » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:47 pm

This is a little challenge that I've been toying with lately. Hope you guys like it.

A Doppleganger is a creature that can imitate the looks, voice, or attitude of another creature. In art, a doppleganger artist is someone who can imitate the style of another artist. I've done this for many years, and by doppling other people's style I have obtained many new skills that now mesh into my own personal style.

Important: Doppleganger art is not copying!

You don't want to draw what someone else has drawn. You're looking for key elements in their artwork that you can imitate. For example, below you can see 4 different styles of noses.
Each has key features that define it. The following features are what you should be looking for when analyzing a piece: Brush stroke, Overall shape of a feature, emotional tone, and colour theory.

Is it a hard brush? Do they use lines? Is it a fat head? Thin hands? How do they form their shadows? Do they use green for red tones or just black? These are the things you want to think about.

Here's the Challenge: Dopple the style of the artist above you, starting with the artist below this post. If you are the first poster you are not expected to dopple my style. You can if you want though. The purpose of this exercise is to get an understanding of how other artists work so that you can improve upon your own art in the future.

Examples:
Original Art - Doppled Art - Teshia
{More to come...}

Notice how it is not a copy, but the style is similar. There's no set time limit to finish your art, but it is in good taste that you do finish something if you post. Don't worry if it isn't perfect, just try your best.
I love constructive critique. Sorry I've been gone so long. I got attacked by the wild monkeys called life.
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Re: The Doppleganger Challenge

Postby SharsArt » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:54 pm

Ummm... Teshia, I'm kinda lost on this one . . . is this a game? If its' drawing techniques then I think you may have posted this to the wrong thread? It's interesting, I just don't know what you mean?

Personally, I see the noses of a: cat, human, cow, & pig (left to right in that order)? Did I guess correctly? Is there 'chockie' reward involved in this game? I'm a chocoholic! :lol:

Here... you're kinda new to FM, so I'll share with you..... enjoy!
This is some of the best "chockie" in the world... it came str8 from Gary Dee's personal stash! :lol:
Ani-EatChockieIcon.gif
Ani-EatChockieIcon.gif (50.11 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
Teshia
Substantial poster

Postby Teshia » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:44 am

Kinda a game as well as a personal challenge to help you improve your own art and learn more about the styles of others. The object is to draw something in the style of the artist above you.

The noses are actually different styles that I've noticed on some of my favorite webcomics. They're all for humans, its just a different way to draw.

So since you are the artist above me, I will draw something in your style. It looks like your focus is in airbrushing, so that will be a challenge for me.
I love constructive critique. Sorry I've been gone so long. I got attacked by the wild monkeys called life.
dontjoice
New poster

Postby dontjoice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:19 am

Notice how it is not a copy, but the style is similar.

Substantial poster

Postby dylanchumleigh » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:13 am

Teshia wrote:This is a little challenge that I've been toying with lately. Hope you guys like it.

A Doppleganger is a creature that can imitate the looks, voice, or attitude of another creature. In art, a doppleganger artist is someone who can imitate the style of another artist. I've done this for many years, and by doppling other people's style I have obtained many new skills that now mesh into my own personal style.

Important: Doppleganger art is not copying!

You don't want to draw what someone else has drawn. You're looking for key elements in their artwork that you can imitate. For example, below you can see 4 different styles of noses.
Each has key features that define it. The following features are what you should be looking for when analyzing a piece: Brush stroke, Overall shape of a feature, emotional tone, and colour theory.

Is it a hard brush? Do they use lines? Is it a fat head? Thin hands? How do they form their shadows? Do they use green for red tones or just black? These are the things you want to think about.

Here's the Challenge: Dopple the style of the artist above you, starting with the artist below this post. If you are the first poster you are not expected to dopple my style. You can if you want though. The purpose of this exercise is to get an understanding of how other artists work so that you can improve upon your own art in the future.

Examples:
Original Art - Doppled Art - Teshia
{More to come...}

Notice how it is not a copy, but the style is similar. There's no set time limit to finish your art, but it is in good taste that you do finish something if you post. Don't worry if it isn't perfect, just try your best.

Not bad, at all!!!

Return to “Forum games”