To top

READ BEFORE POSTING: The Curse of the One-Way Poster

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

READ BEFORE POSTING: The Curse of the One-Way Poster

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:21 pm

This isn't targeted at anyone in particular, but I wanted to point out that if you expect to get responses to your post(s), it behooves you to respond to other people's posts. Yes, you heard it right. Other people.

Imagine a room with two people in the middle of conversation, when a third person walks in from off the street. Here's the scene:

--------------------------------------
Person 1 - Absolutely! By dissecting the intricacies of Bush's speech patterns and cross-referencing that with video of his early years...
Person 2 - ...we can come to the obvious conclusion that Bush has in fact been possessed by the soul of a lemur, and is being controlled remotely by Dick Cheney!
Person 1 - You know, you look so beautiful right now and I've been meaning to tell you this, Person 2...it's been boiling inside me for years now, and...
Joe Tool - LOOK AT THIS SHIT! I made this toilet paper roll into a doll.
--------------------------------------

End scene.

At best, Person 1 and 2 verbally beat the crud out of Joe, but most likely, they'll just ignore him and maybe call security.

I realize sometimes you join a message board and it's number 76 in your 234 favorite websites, and you forget to keep up your (hopefully enjoyable) responsibility of talking WITH other people instead of AT them.

Just so you know, though, don't expect to get posts if you never give posts. Imagine a room full of Joe Tools, each one concerned only with his own toilet paper roll. Would you want to talk to them? And this definitely does NOT just apply to Foundmyself. :wink: (I can see the More you Know NBC star flying by right about now.)
Last edited by bloodjelly on Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunny
Postaholic

Postby Sunny » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:18 pm

Yes I find that to be fairly typical & I just poat to those folks threads for a few times to give them a chance to be human & then I quit answering their posts! :P
Art in Soul Studios
http://www.geocities.com/sunny4art
The soul has reasons that reason cannot fathom.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:52 am

Sunny wrote:Yes I find that to be fairly typical & I just poat to those folks threads for a few times to give them a chance to be human & then I quit answering their posts! :P

Heheh...ditto.
mtv65
Extreme poster

agree

Postby mtv65 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:41 am

Looks like mainly the same people these days. Could it be the stress of schools tarting around the globe these days? Trevor is this normal in September? Where are all the other members?

I try to pay attention to new uploads and especially new users because it is no fun joining somewhere and noone taking notice. And by the response people seem to appreciate that.

But I must admit I sometimes wonder whether I should withdraw from the forums for some time - I sort of feel like a forum harrasser when there are so few others posting :oops:

Over the last 15 years I've been a member of several forums, in some for years, and you need a certain level of activity for it to stay alive and dynamic - not too much so that one get completely lost but definately not so few that one only see some action one in five times one log in.

Let's just hope many lurchers jump in hehe. They are definately most welcome.

Trine
Life begins at 40, Right? At least my life as an artist did.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Re: agree

Postby bloodjelly » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:34 pm

mtv65 wrote:I sort of feel like a forum harrasser when there are so few others posting :oops:

No way! The more posts the better, especially if you're getting something out of it, because the rest of us benefit for sure.
jmckelvin
Postaholic

Postby jmckelvin » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:23 am

I go through periods of non-posting, due to just feeling lazy sometimes. But I do have alot going on in my life. Anyway I do try to post whenever I look at the board. But I try not to post those toilet paper roll posts just to say I posted, so sometimes I end up reading and leaving.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:36 am

Quinzel wrote:I go through periods of non-posting, due to just feeling lazy sometimes. But I do have alot going on in my life. Anyway I do try to post whenever I look at the board. But I try not to post those toilet paper roll posts just to say I posted, so sometimes I end up reading and leaving.
Good to know, and understandable. I posted a toilet paper roll just the other day and Sunny called me out! HEhh-last time I try getting away with that.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:20 pm

:lol:
CoffeeAndSmokes
Postaholic

Postby CoffeeAndSmokes » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:34 am

B.J.... you can shift the posts to a "one way poster sin bin" to get the messagage across, but maybe that might be a little too harsh and might create a little embarassment to some, but it's worth the thought!!!

Even though, I don't post too many articles, I do when I see when somebody needs a little help on something or.. (say, a topic in art critique has not been adressed to expectations).
I do try to keep my main posts on quality, and definately not quantity, and at what I have learned to pass on... Anything else seems to be a luxury and internet time is at a premium for me, as I do not spend too much time online.

C&S.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:59 am

Well thanks for spending the time to give your $.02. The public embarrassment route might work, but I'm not quite ready to do that yet ;) In the meantime I think the amount of feedback and posts people are doing is good for now, and THANKS to you and everyone else who participates and makes this an enjoyable spot! :D

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”