To top

READ BEFORE POSTING: The Curse of the One-Way Poster

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
DrDevience
New poster

Art forums....

Postby DrDevience » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:43 pm

I know this thread is a year old, but I have something I want to say anyway. Please don't toss TP rolls at me...

I paint because I like to paint. I paint what pleases me. I was in total shock the first time I posted a picture of one of my paintings on a Social Networking website and someone offered me real live cash for the thing.

So, the thing of this is, I paint for myself and if someone happens to buy it, that's cool... but I am not in it to make a ton of money, or follow anyone else's idea of 'proper method.'

I guess my point to this post is to explain why I have not, up until now, ventured into the Forum. I viewed found Myself as a place to put all my painting up in one handy spot for when people ask me about other work I've done.

This also explains why I won't critique anyone else other than if I really liked the piece. Art is soooo personal, isn't it? what one person considers juvenile, another person will pay nice money for.

Having said all that... I'll take a bit of a look around the forums now.

Lori
tannerjaysimpson
Passionate poster

Postby tannerjaysimpson » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:24 pm

i am guilty as charged :(
Rebecca Milne
Extreme poster

Re: READ BEFORE POSTING: The Curse of the One-Way Poster

Postby Rebecca Milne » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:08 am

Hey,

About posting critiques I followed instructions on one or two artists work. You know you find the comment box at the end of the page and click on a smile and add a comment but
how long can the comment be.? Does it automatically send an email to the artist.? Not sure how it works really.! I don't know, I have had comments and have only found the way to reply to these, because the comments were from the site owner 'bloodjelly.' I sent an email to [email protected] cause didn't know what else to do.
I noticed that the comment was only two or three words. If you wanted to make a meal out of it and write, down a serious bit of critique how does that work. Maybe I have lost the plot and you only need say "wow great work"
Rebecca milne
"You must choose a road for yourself." " Pray that God never puts you on my road...."check out my website http://www.freewebs.com/coolat34
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:57 pm

Rebecca Milne wrote:If you wanted to make a meal out of it and write, down a serious bit of critique how does that work.

Hi Rebecca -

Gallery comments are usually meant to be fairly brief. If you want to get/make more in-depth comments, try the "Art critique" section in the forum here. Also, an easy way to get back to people through the site is via "PMs" which are like emails but they only travel through Foundmyself. You'll see a link that says "Send private message", "contact" or something similar in everyone's user profile and gallery images.
Affordable_Art
Substantial poster

Postby Affordable_Art » Mon May 19, 2008 7:01 am

I Do this - I just can't get enough time on the internet though to carry on conversations with other people on the site.... It's fun to make random thoughts in different topic areas though.
rhinoface1

Postby rhinoface1 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:02 pm

The problem I have with comments are that I don't know whether to be technical such as,'Your movement in line unbalances the subject you are trying to convey", or something like that. I've never gone to a university to study so I have no idea of the technical terms but I do know what I like and why. It's not as simple as 'That would go good with my couch' but I can identify specific things I like and it may be just the mood.
So I tend to not critique but commend.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:19 pm

Good for you, Rhino.
I personally think a statement is a statement is a statement....
As long as its not aimed at the juggler and is in jest with the 'flow' (or not) freedom of speech is a really good thing....understood or not. :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:55 pm

Anyway, Trevor has given us a "foes" ( a.k.a. 'ignore') function in the CP so that we are not obliged to read posts consisting of bilge from haters who are merely trying to stir up trouble by baiting us. (unless, of course, someone else in the thread inexplicably quotes them in their entirety). :?

In other words, on the one hand we have "the curse of the one-way poster." On the other hand, if you're tired of listening to anyone's nonsense, you are able to tune it out with a single click; a nifty new feature which, in my experience, has made browsing the forum at fM a good deal more pleasant. :D
DrayeArt
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:09 pm

rhinoface1 wrote:The problem I have with comments are that I don't know whether to be technical such as,'Your movement in line unbalances the subject you are trying to convey", or something like that. I've never gone to a university to study so I have no idea of the technical terms but I do know what I like and why. It's not as simple as 'That would go good with my couch' but I can identify specific things I like and it may be just the mood.
So I tend to not critique but commend.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The technical jargon is usually pretty boring, and only used by those putting on airs. Just be yourself, like the sign says "Found Myself".
NEW TUTORIAL: GET ANIMATED CLICK HERE
rhinoface1

Postby rhinoface1 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:11 am

Thanks guys I appreciate your input. Much obliged.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits. :)

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”