Please enter a valid username

Show Please type a password

Forgot your password?

Please enter your username

Please enter a valid email

Show Please type a password

Lost your password? Enter your email address to reset it.

Please enter a valid email

Back to log-in

Close

New art contest - Light in the Winter Darkness

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Contest rules

The theme this time is mostly meant to be taken literally, as in some kind of light source glowing in a cold wintery scene, but feel free to incorporate something metaphorical given that guideline. In other words, you should stick to winter imagery of some sort, but you can add an element of hope in there as well if you want.

Post your entries to this thread. Only one entry per person.

You can either post your image as an attachment, or post a link to it if it's in your gallery.

There will be a public vote afterward to pick the winners. If you have any questions you can ask them below. Go go go! :D
Alisa Mustafina
I placed first in a contest!

Re: New art contest - Light in the Winter Darkness

Postby Alisa Mustafina » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:48 am

ImageHi From Russia! I'm new here and this is the first art contest I'm participating in! Hope my artwork meets the rules! Warmest greetings from Siberia! :D
Here is a link to the painting:
https://www.foundmyself.com/Alisa+Musta ... ing/171584
Last edited by Alisa Mustafina on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:14 am

Hi Alisa, Welcome to FM your work looks nice and I think your picture is very fitting for the contest. You would probably be better if your placed you image on the page like this one below, then people wouldn't need to click through to other pages to see it.

You can do this by right clicking on the image you want to place on the page and choosing view image in new Tab or Window. That will open the image on it's own in a new page. Then you can copy the address/Url at the top of the page to use for your image. If you look at the place where you write and post these messages you will see blue boxes with letters and words in some of them. The one you want says IMG which stands for Image. If you highlight the address for your image and then click on the blue box with IMG in it script will be placed on the ends of the address, they will make your image viewable on the page. Then click the preview button underneath the message box to see it before reposting.

You might know how to do this in which case I am sorry for interfering but it might be of help to others anyway.

Thanks Bog
Alisa Mustafina

Postby Alisa Mustafina » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:30 am

BogStandad wrote:Hi Alisa, Welcome to FM your work looks nice and I think your picture is very fitting for the contest. You would probably be better if your placed you image on the page like this one below, then people wouldn't need to click through to other pages to see it.

You can do this by right clicking on the image you want to place on the page and choosing view image in new Tab or Window. That will open the image on it's own in a new page. Then you can copy the address/Url at the top of the page to use for your image. If you look at the place where you write and post these messages you will see blue boxes with letters and words in some of them. The one you want says IMG which stands for Image. If you highlight the address for your image and then click on the blue box with IMG in it script will be placed on the ends of the address, they will make your image viewable on the page. Then click the preview button underneath the message box to see it before reposting.

You might know how to do this in which case I am sorry for interfering but it might be of help to others anyway.

Thanks Bog

Thank you very much, Bog! This was very helpful! I didn't know that I could do that :)
Now my picture is on the page, but it looks like the quality of the image is worse than in gallery, so I decided to leave the link to the painting. Is it OK?
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:01 am

Alisa Mustafina wrote:Thank you very much, Bog! This was very helpful! I didn't know that I could do that :)
Now my picture is on the page, but it looks like the quality of the image is worse than in gallery, so I decided to leave the link to the painting. Is it OK?

Hi again Alisa, yes your picture looks good on the page and I am happy I was useful. When I first looked at you picture after right clicking on it to open in a new page my reaction was WOW. If you leave your picture at that quality which is quite fantastic because you can see the detail of the canvas in them, you will run the risk of them being stolen and use by others less scrupulous. The quality is so good that they could possibly be printed to look like the real thing. They could be printed onto canvas and sold without your consent if you leave them at that quality.

My advice would be to reduce them down about 500 pixels making them less of a temptation to the unscrupulous.

http://www.foundmyself.com/blog/art-theft-how-to-protect-your-images-online/

Thanks, Bog.
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi all, my first attempt at creating a image for the competition. It is called (Supermoon Siberia), a single track journey to a far off distant light. Inspired by the recent Supermoon and the image on this page above by Alisa Mustafina.

Cool, thanks to all, please enjoy, Bog.

Christopher Reid
I placed third in a contest!

Postby Christopher Reid » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:39 pm

My entry for the Light in the Winter Darkness contest:
"Winter Sunset" 18x24 pastel on paper
by Christopher Reid
http://www.reidsart.com
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:04 am

@Christopher Reid, very nice piece of work. :D
Alisa Mustafina

Postby Alisa Mustafina » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:06 pm

BogStandad wrote:
Alisa Mustafina wrote:Thank you very much, Bog! This was very helpful! I didn't know that I could do that :)

Hi again Alisa, yes your picture looks good on the page and I am happy I was useful. When I first looked at you picture after right clicking on it to open in a new page my reaction was WOW. If you leave your picture at that quality which is quite fantastic because you can see the detail of the canvas in them, you will run the risk of them being stolen and use by others less scrupulous. The quality is so good that they could possibly be printed to look like the real thing. They could be printed onto canvas and sold without your consent if you leave them at that quality.

My advice would be to reduce them down about 500 pixels making them less of a temptation to the unscrupulous.

http://www.foundmyself.com/blog/art-theft-how-to-protect-your-images-online/

Thanks, Bog.

Hi Bog!
Thank you very much for your comments on my picture and also for your advices regarding reducing the quality. So you advise that I should upload all my pictures in a lower quality, right? But I wanted people to enjoy my artworks seeing them in a good quality.. I didn't think that it might be dangerous.
Do you think that happens often, that someone prints out pictures without artists' consent? Well, I guess we won't ever know about it anyway..

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”