To top

researching digital cameras

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
sue hazelton
Postaholic

researching digital cameras

Postby sue hazelton » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi FM Community,
I am researching digital cameras. And am wondering if anyone would have suggestions and/or comments on a good quality digital camera with interchangeable lenses? There are lots in the marketplace and choice depends on the type of photography one chooses to pursue. I am researching cameras that are good for capturing landscape, nature, and flower images, for intermediate level photographer.
Thank you very much. :D
sue
Chris fairl
Passionate poster

Re: researching digital cameras

Postby Chris fairl » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi sue. Well your right there are alot out there. Fugifilm x-t2. Great camera . Has a high price tag too $1500 . But it well worth it . I guess you'll have to say what's the best for the price you want to pay. I've seen some that were even more expensive . I think you should keep looking till you find what's right for you.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:31 pm

I've had Nikon DSLRs from the D70 to the D80 (upgrade), to the D300 (upgraded because the D80 was stolen), to the D7100 ("upgraded" because I dunked the 300 in the ocean but I blame the turtle for posing for me). Honestly for the types of photos you're talking about these might be overkill, but I'd recommend something that:

1. Has a large, high-quality sensor (i.e. not just a lot of megapixels, which is essentially a marketing gimmick at this point)

2. Can shoot video, just in case, unless you already have a decent video camera or could care less about video

3. Can shoot RAW, so that all the data that the sensor picks up is available to you

4. Has the weight and feel that you're comfortable with, and

5. Has the ability to override the automatic settings with manual controls (aperture, shutter, ISO, etc.)
All that being said, and since I don't know what your budget is, most modern cameras can take a good landscape or flower shot like you talk about. I'm biased toward big images that look good zoomed in, so while my phone can take a 12 megapixel image, it looks like garbage at 100% compared to something from a 12MP DSLR. But both might produce a decent print that most people would be happy with. So anyway my $0.02. You should definitely do your homework ahead of time and look around at professional reviews (I love https://www.dpreview.com/) and consumer reviews. Gotta love the internet. :P
sue hazelton
Postaholic

Postby sue hazelton » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks for the info Chris and Trevor. I appreciate the help and advice greatly some of the ads can be mind boggling and drive ya crazy. Will definitely do homework ...
Thanks again sue :D

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”