To top

guess I need to re-introduce myself on this site

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
Dorothyof0z246
Substantial poster

guess I need to re-introduce myself on this site

Postby Dorothyof0z246 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:33 pm

Hello fellow artists! I've been on this site I believe since October, and still feel like I just made my account. No one has bothered to answer any posts or replys of mine and I don't understand why? I thought the purpose was to network and get to know as many people in the art community as possible! Shame if this is a cliquish art site, bc that is just messed up bc art is art not a specific type of drawing or painting things and etc. so please if I could just get a response out of at least one person, even if it's just to say hi and bye feel free to do so bc I see so many posts and they go on forever. I would love members to give me honest advice on my art please!
Not in Kansas anymore.
Dorothyof0z246
Substantial poster

Re: guess I need to re-introduce myself on this site

Postby Dorothyof0z246 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:33 pm

Dorothyof0z246 wrote:Hello fellow artists! I've been on this site I believe since October, and still feel like I just made my account. No one has bothered to answer any posts or replys of mine and I don't understand why? I thought the purpose was to network and get to know as many people in the art community as possible! Shame if this is a cliquish art site, bc that is just messed up bc art is art not a specific type of drawing or painting things and etc. so please if I could just get a response out of at least one person, even if it's just to say hi and bye feel free to do so bc I see so many posts and they go on forever. I would love members to give me honest advice on my art please!
Not in Kansas anymore.
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:16 am

Hi Dorothyof0z246, I have not seen any post by you so would not be able to reply sorry, I am not implying that you have not made any I am just saying I have not been alerted to them. The forum has been very slow from my perspective these past few months so I am not surprised by your stament. To be completly honest I really don't think it is about you personally it is just not happening anyway me thinks.

Hi again and welcome to FM, thanks, Bog.
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:25 am

Hi again Dorothyof0z246, I had a quick look at your work and you seem to be enjoying what you are doing which to me is all that counts. I cannot give you any advice because I do not know what you are trying to achive so beyoned the actual images/drawing/pictures you have presented there isn't much to go off. The only other thing I can say is if we keep some dialogue going we might get somewhere with it.

Thanks all the best, Bog.
Dorothyof0z246
Substantial poster

Postby Dorothyof0z246 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:18 am

Thank you for your reply and advice, I am just trying to work on making my drawings more realistic and I also like to get inspiration from other artists on here and get ideas on How to do certain types of art aswell. I am trying to also see if I even have potential to have the kind of drawings or any artwork that's worth buying in the eyes of other artists and buyers.
Not in Kansas anymore.
Dorothyof0z246
Substantial poster

Postby Dorothyof0z246 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:20 am

Ps thank you again for the reply! I respect an honest persons opinion.
Not in Kansas anymore.
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:20 am

Dorothyof0z246 wrote:Thank you for your reply and advice, I am just trying to work on making my drawings more realistic and I also like to get inspiration from other artists on here and get ideas on How to do certain types of art aswell. I am trying to also see if I even have potential to have the kind of drawings or any artwork that's worth buying in the eyes of other artists and buyers.

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work." Stephen King

This applies to just about everything, people only get good at stuff through practising and trying to improve, practice will not make you perfect but it will make you better.

To improve your drawing skills, try drawing real objects from life rather than pictures of real objects or other peoples drawings. A drawing is a two dimensional illusion of a three dimensional object, usually, so when you look at things in real life they are three dimensional and you as the person drawing them have to make them into a two dimensional drawing. When drawing from a picture it is already two dimensional so you are missing out on the learning and understanding of three dimensional objects or what might be called the three dimensional space. Doing this will inspire you as well as inform you I am sure, it always does with me anyway. It will give you a greater understanding as well as developing and reinforcing your visual memory. To be honest I often start out drawing something real from the real three dimensional world and end up turning it into something else along the way.

Art work worth buying is just an obstacle that gets in the way, anything is only worth buying if somebody buys it. People have no clue what art is really, as anything and everything has been called art at some point, from piles of bricks to paint thrust through a jet engine onto a canvas, to somebody standing naked for a camera is all called art. All man made objects where designed at some point and so all man made objects are art because design is an art as well, which means everything that was made is art.

I hope this helps, thanks, Bog.
Dorothyof0z246
Substantial poster

Postby Dorothyof0z246 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Your advice has given me a lot to think about, you are the only person who hasn't tried to tell me my drawings are odd, and you are the only person who has been helpful. Thank you so much for taking the time to post on my subject. This art community needs more members like you. :) and I'm going to start practicing the techniques you suggested. Thank you BogStandad and hope you have a merry Christmas aswell
Not in Kansas anymore.
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Hi Dorothyof0z246, thank you for the feedback it always helps but I haven't finished yet, ha, ha.

Realistic, my interpretation of realistic is really photographic realism, I think everybody sees the world like a photograph looks or like a film. Where everything is changing, light conditions and movement. Film or movie film, is really just many different still photographs all joined together so that they all follow each other at 30 frames or what are really still images moving along at 30 a second.

That is what is generally perceived as realistic to the general Joe or Jane Doe, photographic realism.
To create images like that you need to copy the same kind of marks that convey the object or subject. Drawings and everything you see can only be seen because of light, and shadow. Drawings usually consist of light, shade, light, shade, with every feature pronounced by light and shade or shadow. Another important technique is gradation, being able to create a graduated tonal variation from dark to light or light to dark. Practising this and finding the best ways to do it is good practice for giving your self the skill and understanding. The key thing to know about drawing is it is all measurement and there are many ways to measure things. A successful way is to frame your subject, when using a drawing area, it will always have an outside edge and the outside edge can always be used as a tool to measure where everything goes. You can use things that surround the subject you are drawing to create an imaginary frame around the subject, you can also make a viewing frame that suits the outside edge of the drawing area. It is always advisable to look from side to side, up and down, at both what you are drawing from the subject and what you are actually drawing on the drawing area comparing them with each other as you go along.

All the time trying to convey the marks you see. Take a look at grass it is usually conveyed as little or big single strokes of the drawing tool with many of them often overlapping, conveying the visual texture of grass and when you look at real grass it has that same quality to it. When you look at flesh shadows, shadows on the skin, they are often soft gradated shadows, going from light to dark. So if you create those types of shadows for skin tones/shadows, then you are mimicking what things look like for real, so helps your work to look more realistic. Try to copy or mimic what you see by making marks that look like the marks you see and your drawing should start to become more realistic.

Enjoy you holidays as well and try to get some practice in.

Thanks, Bog.

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”