Please enter a valid username

Show Please type a password

Forgot your password?

Please enter your username

Please enter a valid email

Show Please type a password

Lost your password? Enter your email address to reset it.

Please enter a valid email

Back to log-in

Close

How to find a professional residential painter?

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
Bill Hewes
Passionate poster

Re: How to find a professional residential painter?

Postby Bill Hewes » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:18 pm

Matt, What do you need a painter for?
Only asking because I painted houses, businesses and just about anything that didn't move for years. Come to think of it I did paint things that moved as well :-)

But one of the best ways is to ask around. See if anyone around you has used a painter. Don't ask at the local bar/pub everyone is a painter in them. Unless it's a high-end bar/pub then someone might know a good painter.

I haven't painted in 10 years so far as pricing, I have no idea but I'd say today prices might be around $45 per man hour if not more. Depending on the company, so $40 plus if it's a company that pays its employees well, has health insurnce for them. Plus their own company vans etc.. You'll find people that will do it cheaply, but remember you get what you pay for.

Going back 10 years a room about 15 feet by 12 feet could run you about $800 to $1,200. That would depend on the condition of the walls, how many windows, and doors.

Any other questions just ask and I'll help out if I can.
Chris fairl
Passionate poster

Postby Chris fairl » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:54 pm

Our local hardware store sells paint so professional painter often will leave there cards the hardware sells person can usually reckamend a good painter .
worth a try
Bill Hewes
Passionate poster

Postby Bill Hewes » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:39 am

It can be hard to judge at times a good painter vs. a bad one. Still, the best thing to do is ask others who they used. Like Chris said you can find them at your local paint supply or hardware store as well. But there's still a chance they won't be pros. I've heard some good stories over the years about guys claiming to be a pro. I've also been hired to fix messes other painters left behind. Still like I said ask around that would be the best thing you can do.

You know what, you can check out https://www.painttalk.com/ I use to be a member there. I wrote a couple of programs to help others with estimating, employee, and equipment costs. You might get some help there and the members are from all over.
Cartoonman
Substantial poster

Postby Cartoonman » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi I'm cartoonman my real name Don I'm going on 34 years now as a residential and commercial painter the first clue of a professional is hes wearing whites that have paint on them when you meet them. First get references at least 5 and call them this is the most important thing. You can email me for more information. Don the cartoon man
Bill Hewes
Passionate poster

Postby Bill Hewes » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:20 pm

Don, Wearing whites doesn't mean much these days. I've seen a lot of guys in whites and they still didn't know what they were doing. :)

Most of them don't even know what a 5 in 1 is or what size nap they should use. A smooth wall, use a 1/2 inch nap and you'll get that good old orange peel look. I've seen that a lot over the years.

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”