To top

SCAM INFORMATION (# 10) FOR MEMBERS

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
rwreese

SCAM INFORMATION (# 1) FOR MEMBERS

Postby rwreese » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:41 pm

I have a lot of info about scams, which I will list separately. I hope this info is helpful:

HERE IS AN EMAIL I RECEIVED FROM A SCAMMER ASKING ABOUT A PAINTING I HAD LISTED ON ANOTHER WEBSITE (NOTICE HIS BAD GRAMMAR), AND MY REPLY:

This sender is DomainKeys verified"Joshua Patrick" <newcreaturefellowship01@gmail.com>

Hello ,I just want to confirm if the item still available for sale and how
many did u has ?I need it very urgent for my daughter ..Pls get back to
me fast to complete the transaction asap. Thanks

I SENT HIM AN EMAIL SAYING THAT THE PAINTING WAS AVAILABLE.

His reply:

Hello,I write to purchase this item from you for my Daughter. I want the item send to her fast and due to this fact i want you to tell me the price you are willing to sell the item only because i will handle the shipping myself ( i.e the item will picked up by my shipping company).However, i will make your payment via Cheque,Infact i want you to asure me that this item is in good condition also assure me that as soon as cash the Cheque from your bank,you will contact me immediately for the shipping address,Please for God sake know that this item must meet-up with need time.You can get back to me with your FULLNAME, CONTACT ADDRESS and UR CELL PHONE NUMBER so that i can issue payment rightaway. Thanks and God Bless.
Best Regards

MY REPLY:

I REQUEST YOU READ MY SALES POLICY. I SHIP MY ITEMS, AND CHECKS ARE HELD FOR CLEARANCE FROM THE BANK, NO EXCEPTION.

NEVERTHELESS, YOUR ARE THAT "GUESS WHO COMING TO DINNER" GUY. YOU JUST CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, BUT YOUR "M.O" IS THE SAME. SO DON'T WASTE MY TIME WITH YOUR SCAMS. GET A LIFE!

End of info...more to come.
rwreese

SCAM INFORMATION (# 2) FOR MEMBERS

Postby rwreese » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:46 pm

HERE ARE THE RED FLAGS WHEN DEALING WITH SCAMMERS.

RED FLAG. HIS GRAMMAR USAGE IS BELOW AVERAGE.

RED FLAG. HE DOESN'T WANT TO GO THROUGH THE BUY ORDERING SYSTEM; INSTEAD, HE WANTS TO BUY DIRECTLY FROM YOU.

RED FLAG. HE WILL FIRST SEND YOU A CHECK (A COMPANY OR A CASHIER'S CHECK THAT LOOKS LEGIT), THEN FOLLOW-UP WITH AN EMAIL WITH BUYING INSTRUCTIONS.

RED FLAG. HE WANTS TO USE A MOVING (OR SHIPPING) COMPANY FOR PICKUP. IF YOU SUGGEST THAT YOU WILL SHIP THE ITEMS, HIS EXCUSE IS, HE IS PAYING THE SHIPPING COMPANY TO PICK UP OTHER GOODS FOR HIM AND PAYING THEM TO PICKUP YOUR ITEMS ALSO.

DOUBLE RED FLAG. HE WILL OFFER TO SEND YOU A CHECK BY FEDEX OR UPS WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS TO CASH THE CHECK, DEDUCT WHAT'S OWNED TO YOU, SEND REST OF THE MONEY TO A (JOE BLOW) BY WESTERN UNION, AND (JOE BLOW) WILL PICK IT UP. THEN YOU ARE TO EMAIL HIM WITH THE W.U. CONTROL NUMBER AND OTHER TRANSACTION INFO. THE CHECK IS FRAUDULENT...DO NOT CASH IT.

End of info...more to follow.
rwreese
rwreese

SCAM INFORMATION (# 3) FOR MEMBERS

Postby rwreese » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:48 pm

THE BUYING & SELLING SCAM

The buying and selling scam is one scheme that has been prevalent on line for an extended period of time. Here is an example of one popular scheme: Someone contacts you with a strong interest in purchasing the motorcycle you listed on an on line website. Though he's located overseas, he's fortunate to have a friend in the states who can actually aid with shipment of the bike. To make matters more intriguing, this friend just happens to owe him a bit of money. By helping him to even the score, he's willing to sweeten the pot for your participation. Let's just say that your motorcycle was listed for $3000. The scam artist will claim that his friend owes him a total of $5000, all of which he will pay you with a genuine cashier's check. All he wants you to do is pay him the difference, take a little out for your troubles, then wait for his friend to pick up the order and ship it to the destination address.
After going against your better judgment, you go through with it and eventually realize that the cashier's check isn't worth the paper it's written on. Some banks take as long as a week up to a month to process such financial instruments. Even if the check appears legit and actually shows up in your account, it can still bounce, leaving you terribly frustrated and possibly out of your motorcycle.

rwreese
rwreese

SCAM INFORMATION (# 4) FOR MEMBERS

Postby rwreese » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:50 pm

THE PAYPAL SCAM

PayPal users are actually the specific targets of email scam going around commonly called the PayPal Scam.

Clues It's A Scam
So how do you know that the email you got from "PayPal" is a scam? Here are a few clues:

The greeting is not personalized - the real PayPal will always use your name or the name associated with your account in its greeting, never "Dear PayPal User."
If you look at the email source it won't come directly from PayPal and it may have a reply to address that is not at "paypal.com"
The email asks for things PayPal doesn't need to verify your identity - PayPal would not ask for information they don't need (like your bank pin number)
There is a form included in the email asking for your sensitive information - PayPal does not ask for personal information over email
Links in the email send you to a site that does not contain "paypal.com" in the address bar or it's not a secure site ("https://" in the address rather than "http://")
Any of these clues mean that the email is from a scammer, and not PayPal. Therefore do not do what the email asks. To check your Paypal account, login to Paypal.

rwreese
rwreese

SCAM INFORMATION (# 5) FOR MEMBERS

Postby rwreese » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:54 pm

There are different types of identity theft. Email identity theft is also an identity fraud in which the hacker uses the victim's email id to get the personal information. It is obvious that we cannot hide our mail id from everyone; however, we can use it in a careful way to ensure protection.
• Beware of spam emails asking for social security number, password, bank account information and any other personal information. It is important to check the reliability of a mail before providing such information.
• Phishing scams are very much popular in the cyber world. Some mails ask the recipient to fill up various details like mail ids, passwords, bank details, and credit card number in a form. There is a higher possibility of these mails being scams.
• Certain scam mails sent by the perpetrators may ask us to update our credit card information in the specified area. Such mails should be spotted carefully for email identity theft.
• Mails that claim to be sent by banks may ask for passwords and other personal information. It is worth noting that banks never ask for your details in an email. It is better to be aware of this type of emails.
• Beware of mails that refer to you by generic names like 'Dear customer' or any other general title.
• Mails that are written with plenty of grammatical errors and misspellings are very likely to come under scam category.

In a nutshell, it is not a good idea to share any sensitive personal information through emails. If we follow this general rule, we can easily prevent email identity theft.

rwreese
rwreese

SCAM INFORMATION (# 6) FOR MEMBERS

Postby rwreese » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:57 pm

A LIST OF MANY TYPES OF SCAMS

FOR A LIST OF MANY TYPES OF SCAMS, GO TO spamlaws.com AND UNDER SPAN LAWS - US AND EUROPEAN, CLICK UNITED STATES. THIS TAKES YOU TO SPAMLAWS WEB PAGE. IN MENU, CLICK SCAMS, WHICH TAKES YOU TO A LIST OF SCAMS. THEN CLICK ON THE ONES YOU WANT TO READ.

rwreese
rwreese

SCAM INFORMATION (# 7FOR MEMBERS

Postby rwreese » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Scammers are sending emails with a PayPal logo that begins with "Dear Member" or some other greetings. The email will say, "PayPal Security Center or Account Center." The text will be something like this: "PayPal is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its community of buyers and sellers. Recently, our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account. In order to secure your account we may require some specific information from you. We encourage you to log in by clicking on the link below and complete the requested form as soon as possible."

Regardless what the email says, never respond from your email to any link. This is a very common scam. If you click on the link, the link will redirect you to a scam page that looks like Paypal, and when you type your username and password the scammer will steal your personal information.
These emails are "spoof emails." This is how you handle a Paypal spoof email:
1. Do not click Reply, but click Forward to send the message to spoof@Paypal.com.
2. Don't alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment - doing so prevents them from investigating it further.
3. Once you have forwarded the email, you can then delete it from your email account.

To check your Paypal account, type Paypal.com in your search bar.

rwreese
rwreese

SCAM INFORMATION (# 8) FOR MEMBERS

Postby rwreese » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:02 pm

HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM SCAM SITES

HERE IS A HELPFUL TIP: You can protect yourself from scam sites by looking up the domain at http://www.whois.com, which details when a site was registered and by whom. That can be helpful if the Web address of a phony site is similar to the real one.

rwreese
rwreese

SCAM INFORMATION (# 9) FOR MEMBERS

Postby rwreese » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:07 pm

TAKE THE PAYPAL TEST THAT WILL HELP YOU TO IDENTIFY AND AVOID SCAMS.

Test your knowledge with the Fight Phishing Challenge to learn what to look for and how to avoid a scam.

FOR MEMBERS WHO HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH PAYPAL. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, PAYPAL HAS TUTORIALS AND GUIDES TO HELP YOU AVOID IDENTITY THEFT AND FRAUDULENT EMAILS.

LOGIN TO PAYPAL...CLICK Security Center...CLICK Security Tools or Tips For Everyone...CLICK Take the Challenge. THIS TAKES YOU TO A PAGE WHERE THERE ARE FIVE TRUE OR FALSE QUESTIONS. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

rwreese
rwreese

SCAM INFORMATION (# 10) FOR MEMBERS

Postby rwreese » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:12 pm

FYI: REFERENCE INFO ABOUT A SCAM

I KEPT THIS INFO IN MY EMAIL FILE FOR REFERENCE. IT WAS A SCAM FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE WHERE I AM A MEMBER. THIS GUY GOES BY THE NAME OF JAMES LUTHER WHO CLAIMED TO BE A COLLECTOR ACTING AS AN AGENT FOR SOMEONE WANTING TO BUY ONE OF MY PAINTINGS. BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR THIS TYPE OF EMAIL. I was almost taken in by this scam, because I have a soft spot for orphanages. Here is the email:

hello,
I told you earlier that i am a collector for an orphanage home so its one of our benefactor that wants to buy the piece for the home so that is why it has been delayed..he is out of the state but he is back now so i want to know if the piece is still available.i am sorry for the waste of time and i also want you to know that he will be sending the payment with the money he has promised for the upbringing of the home..so i will like to know the status of the piece....pls do get back to me as soon as you get this..
i am looking forward to hear from you soon..
regards
lluther

I WAS TAKEN IN BY THE "orphanage home" LINE, AND AGREED TO DEAL WITH HIM DIRECTLY. AFTER EXCHANGING EMAILS, HE WANTED TO PICKUP THE PAINTING AND SENT A CHECK BY FEDEX. BUT FORTUNATE FOR ME, AFTER SEVERAL ATTEMPTS, FEDEX NEVER DELIVERED IT. I GUESS THIS "BUYER" THOUGHT HIS SCAM HAD BEEN EXPOSED, BECAUSE I NEVER HEARD FROM HIM AGAIN.

That's it...there is no more. Thanks.
rwreese

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”