Please enter a valid username

Show Please type a password

Forgot your password?

Please enter your username

Please enter a valid email

Show Please type a password

Lost your password? Enter your email address to reset it.

Please enter a valid email

Back to log-in

Close

Art tallent. born vs. learned?

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Art tallent. born vs. learned?

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:45 pm

I would like to ask fellow artist. How many people out there think you are born with a certain talent for art? in the 4 or 5th grade i had a friend that could just take a number 2 yellow pencil and a piece of paper and just throw down fee hand some of the greatest character and mech art i saw. His mother not great at free hand though could re produce from a pic almost anything perfectly. I have worked hard less then i would like and should but still i can not draw anything free hand.

So my question to you all is this...

are you born with a talent or can it be learned???
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Re: Art tallent. born vs. learned?

Postby Gary Dee » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:12 am

Shaun, I believe it can be both.. I think everyone is born with certain 'talents' (more than one) that they may or may not recognize and pursue. Personally, I'm "self taught" in painting, but things came natural to some extent when I began.....and it became a passion so I enjoyed working at it. If I hadn't learned however, I would have never gotten any better.

Whatever 'gift' we may have, I believe it has to be recognized and one never ceases to have to Work at it. I Think Tiger Woods is a good example. It is quite obvious he was born with an awesome ability to play golf but he also works at it harder than anyone else.

I also believe I have seen many 'artists' who have not yet discovered what their true talents are and until they do, no amount of work or learning is going to make them any good at the wrong gift! :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
GrubeGallery
Passionate poster

Postby GrubeGallery » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:58 am

Well said Gary Dee, yes even with the talent, without passion and practice you will never grow or find the truely new and distinct style that you need. I think lessons etc. make it harder to develop this; just follow the talent with lots of trial and error and then you 'may' get there. Oh yes, and good luck.
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:12 pm

thank you soo very much. i think after reading your post's i have a new found vigor to try harder and get even better.
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:02 pm

This is a very interesting thread. I agree with how Gary put it, that both "learned" and "born" are in play. However, I strongly feel that passion is a very prominent factor. If you love doing something so much, you WILL get better at it through practice and learning from others too.
van Gogh is a very good example, because he had the raw talent and obviously the passion to produce the hundreds of paintings and drawings that he did, but he also had some formal training. He was trained to see with his eyes. He already had the passion in his heart to meet the other criteria.
another example for this discussion is the passionless musician who has learned how to read music and play an instrument and they go through the motions of creating music, technically perfectly, yet there is no passion in it. This same musician, if you took his music away, would not be able to play a note. But maybe this musician is a mathematical genuis who can calculate numbers to the millions.
Mozart was composing symphonies when he was nine years old. We all know of his musical genius, but he was apparently a lousy businessman.
There is something to be considered about the soul that drives our human shell.
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:29 am

Hi Shaun, you'll have to forgive my english here..
I concur with all that's said above..
Also, I think some of us are born with a creative mind to begin with, then we discover we have a certain talent- [if we have the right drive and passion, we will then want to learn certain skills and technique to improve on that talent..]
For instance, it was at age 7 when I realized for the first time that I could draw a cartoon exactly as I see it in the comic book... and that I enjoyed drawing so much I wanted to do it all the time. At that time and for years, I could only do line drawings of cartoons, and it was just a few years ago, I wanted to do more than that.. so I taught myself [through trial & errors] to shade in the drawings... afterwards, I wanted to do even more, like adding colors to my drawings... even to this day because of the love and passion for creating, I still want to learn more.. Infact i'm just now learning [by experiments] how to paint with the wet medium.. so while I can draw with a pencil, the painting is very new to me.]

While there are those who only know they have a passion to create, yet they lack the skills to make it manifest... [that's where learning comes in.. someone who couldn't draw before, can learn to do so, and with determination, can make it happen].
[I think it's a journey of learning anyway you look at it.]
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi Shaun,

I also agree with Gary and others input on this subject, but I would like to add alittle bit more to it. When we are born we are a big ball of need, a blank page without any knowledge or passion. We have to nurture, grow, & learn to develop any special inate abilities or talents we may possess.

Since art, by broad definition, can be anything made by anyone in any way using anything, then theoretically 'everything' is art. So art certainly does not have to be learned, yet "everything" & "everyone" are not considered artists.

Therefore, IMHO, a good artist is 'learned' even if the only teacher is their self. :D

I've been doing art most of my life, I still learn new things about art everyday, and still work toward improving my technique, style, form, appreciation, and ability. Perhaps, our desire to develop & improve our artistic ability, is the passion that drives us to produce & share it?
Kenton
New poster

Postby Kenton » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Hey check out my sketches, tell me what you think!!! please:-)
freakyfingers
Postaholic

Postby freakyfingers » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:39 am

captain, prepare the men for attack... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:51 am

Kenton wrote:Hey check out my sketches, tell me what you think!!! please:-)

freakyfingers wrote:captain, prepare the men for attack... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”