To top

Mental illness - Connection?

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
Natalie Holden
Substantial poster

Mental illness - Connection?

Postby Natalie Holden » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:26 am

I guess it doesn't exactly take a genius to see a connection between mental illness and creativity. Some of the best known Artists suffered from 'disorders of the mind'. So I was wondering if anyone thought the two went hand in hand? Not strictly hand in hand but it seems, to me, that the more vulnerable someone's mind is, the more creative they seem to be?

Also, I was wondering how many people here have some sort of mental illness or an illness that runs in the family?

I know this is pretty personal, so sorry if it offends anyone.
"Just erotic, nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett

jules
New poster

Re: Mental illness - repost reply --I don't know if this posted,

Postby jules » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:10 am

It is a hard thing to define... normal. I work in an inpatient hospital psyc ward and we are all unique in our minds... mental illness, it is a matter of function. Ill means that something is wrong. People can decide to pull themself together in most mental illness. Some have to work at it more then others and some have been given tools to do so and unfortunatley some have been damaged by things out of their control- tramatic stress, post trama stress and chemical imbalances that need to be followed or they will not function. I do not believe that an artist is more pre disposed to mental illness by nature. They are more vulnerable because the choice to share themself with the world. Artists are honest and humble people.... The child makes a colorful drawing and enjoys doing so but does not rip it up after- it is shown to someone and the true artist child does not care if it is praised or not they just care they have someone to show it to that can possibly relate to it's beauty. Beauty is the thing that was inspiring to do the work in the first place. As adults artists we express an idea of beauty, order, harmony, excitment and peaceful balance, extreme intellect, mediative abandonment.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Re: Mental illness - Connection?

Postby Gary Dee » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:49 am

Natalie Holden wrote:Some of the best known Artists suffered from 'disorders of the mind'. So I was wondering if anyone thought the two went hand in hand?

No, not at all.

(I really like your avatar) :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
mariofdy
New poster

Postby mariofdy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:55 pm

"Also, I was wondering how many people here have some sort of mental illness or an illness that runs in the family? "
I don't have any mental illnes, niether none of my family. I even dont have any problems, don't visit therapists etc. I think this would stop me from doing anything, especially drawing and painting.
So - no connection ... :)
Natalie Holden
Substantial poster

Postby Natalie Holden » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:04 pm

Gary Dee wrote:No, not at all.

(I really like your avatar) :wink:

:lol: thanks! I don't really know what to think about it, just seems to be every artist I read up on there's a section saying 'so and so suffered from [insert mental illness] and it is believed their work shows this via [insert explanation]
"Just erotic, nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett

Natalie Holden
Substantial poster

Postby Natalie Holden » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:06 pm

mariofdy wrote:I don't have any mental illnes, niether none of my family. I even dont have any problems, don't visit therapists etc. I think this would stop me from doing anything, especially drawing and painting.
So - no connection ... :)

Well that's good to hear! Thanks for the reply :)

Natalie Holden
Substantial poster

Postby Natalie Holden » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:23 pm

My family has a long history of mental illnesses, on both my mother and fathers side.

My mother's side tends to be more creative, be it with music, writing, painting, whatever. Whereas my father's side tend to rely on science and fact instead of their emotions or being creative.

I guess really it's about individuals and how their environment is processed throughout their lives rather than mental illness.

I know my mother was bought up to be creative and to follow her emotions etc. And my father was bought up to get good academic grades, a degree - that knowledge rather than emotion was most important.

Which, thinking about it is probably why they got divorced! :lol:

I don't know, I feel most comfortable expressing myself through creativity and me and my family have a history of mental illness. And after reading about various artists and always finding that 'mental illness' paragraph/chapter I just wondered if there was perhaps a connection.

Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:40 am

Natalie Holden wrote: I just wondered if there was perhaps a connection.

You seem to keep asking the same question again and again. :?
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
Natalie Holden
Substantial poster

Postby Natalie Holden » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:19 am

Sorry! I have a habit of rambling and going over the same things. I wasn't really asking again, just typing what was in my head really!

Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:38 pm

I find it useful to think of being a painter as a sort of obsessive-compulsive psychosis; most of us spend our lives waiting for something that's never going to happen (maybe after we're dead) and making things that nobody wants. It's a benign sort of madness, insofar as we don't actually physically harm anyone but ourselves, but 99.9% of the population can't understand why we do it, and if that isn't crazy, I don't know what is (and I have a degree in Psychology). :lol:

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”