To top

Mental illness - Connection?

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Re: Mental illness - Connection?

Postby Carson Collins » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:09 pm

I think that maybe the reason that most "normal" folks think that artists are insane is that the vast majority of us spend our lives making things that nobody wants and waiting for something that's never going to happen. :idea: :?:
Shilpi
New poster

Postby Shilpi » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:11 pm

Art is the beauty of life. A patient sufferenig with mental illness sometimes express his thoughts with art. It helps to understand his world, his imagination, sorrows.
Art is simply great whether made by patient or by a normal person, by a rich or by a poor, made on a possible event or on an impossible event.
Shilpi :roll:
Clide Course
Passionate poster

Postby Clide Course » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:32 pm

Carson Collins wrote:I think that maybe the reason that most "normal" folks think that artists are insane is that the vast majority of us spend our lives making things that nobody wants and waiting for something that's never going to happen. :idea: :?:

Agreed!

But doesn't the premise of a norm itself, label a subgroup as abnormal by default? Maybe just need more abnormal people and the norm would reverse? Just not the violent ones please.
Jayelle Cochran
Substantial poster

Postby Jayelle Cochran » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:02 am

You know....I was thinking about this today and I think I realized something.

Artists are creative. We see the world differently. We think differently. Artists have a passion that sometimes scares those who don't have it (and I don't mean just visual arts, this is true for all art types). Some artists, especially those with a stronger passion than most, can seem insane to someone who doesn't experience life in the same way.

A person might consider an artist crazy because of their passion, how they view the world differently, the types of art they create, or their obsession (we've all been there). However, these aren't necessarily hallmarks of someone who has an illness.

People who are mentally ill also view the world differently. And like someone said, sometimes they use art to express themselves. But while there are those who are ill and are artists at the same time, most of the artists I've met aren't mentally ill.

Oh...and just for clarification...there is a HUGE difference between mentally ill and insane. Just sayin.
Jayelle Cochran

"No man is free who is not master of himself"
mjgartistpoet
Extreme poster

Postby mjgartistpoet » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:14 am

The whole wide world is in a state of mental illness. Perhaps this is what the artist mirrors back in his/her creations.
From the cradle to the grave we are fed falsehood and lies and woe betide any who think for themselves and put their head above the parapit and speak out, paint out, sing out, write out etc.
Is it not insane to merely parrot what we are taught in indoctrination centres called schools - to play it safe - to be no more than a slavish robot -
You want a good grade a good score then go with the established theories, do not question and repeat what those who profess to be elders betters and wiser want to hear. Do not let truth get in the way.
No artists are not mentally ill - they are mostly F----d up by the socity they live in.
Sounds extreme I know but please consider -
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:36 am

Art is the beauty of life.
- Shilpi

That may be, but I have observed that most real artists didn't (and don't) live particularly beautiful lives. I think that being an artist involves a certain amount of sacrifice, however consciously or unconsciously it's done.

The whole wide world is in a state of mental illness.
- MJ

Amen, brother.

Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.
- John Lennon
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:47 am

Right on, Carson!!

-----------------------------------
Hey! Like your new avatar!
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
Jason Paul Claire
Substantial poster

Postby Jason Paul Claire » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi all went through a really rough mental breakdown some time ago as a result of work place bullying, that really sparked off my creative side. Always drawn as a hobby but it made me become a professional artist so I'm grateful to that experience and time of my life. I think such a massive thing as mental health issues turn that switch and it never really gets turned off, it increases your creativeness to uber levels that is always on tap if you want it. Anyway that's my experience and my thoughts.
Today I looked into the abyss, I saw nothing then suddenly a flash of inspiration and I finally knew who I was - Jason Paul Claire

Art by Jason Paul Claire: http://www.discoverserenity.co.uk
YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/discoverserenity
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:48 pm

Thank you, Wingo (you mad bastard!) for the vote of confidence. 8)

@ Jason Paul Claire:
O, I agree. :D
The realization that one is, by definition, insane, can be enormously liberating. :idea:
mjgartistpoet
Extreme poster

Postby mjgartistpoet » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:54 am

Normality and social conformity passes for sanity.
Yet is the world we live in sane when when it is run by criminal psycopaths who's norm is to wage endless wars in the name of peace for dark intentions.
As Buzz Aldrin saw when looking back at the Earth from the vantage point of space - All borders are illusory - The Earth is One - a unique and beautiful planet delicately and perfectly poised. We are one - A family of Humankind.

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”