To top

Mental illness - Connection?

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Re: Mental illness - Connection?

Postby Gary Dee » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:15 am

BogStandad wrote:If there is a "connection between mental illness and creativity" as some people seem to be implying, can they please try to explain what that connection is?

I'll try.
The most trusted "personality inventory" test created in 1946 and revised many times since is called the MMPI. It stands for the Minnesota Multiphastic Personality Inventory. There have been over 10,000 books written about the test and it is the most accepted and utilized test results about one's personality in most countries around the world. It is used by many if not most large corporations for hiring and promotional considerations (I have taken the MMPI on two occasions involving employment) and also as a tool for psychologists in working with their clients. It is also used by the Colorado Department of Corrections where part of my job as a psychotherapist and case manager was to interpret the results to my clients as part of determining treatment, for if people are aware of their 'personality traits' it is easier to deal with their 'problems' effectively.

One of the 'scales' on the test ( one of 6 if I remember the # correctly - the results of the test are presented on a graph) relates to schizophrenia. The higher a person scores on this scale, the more predisposed they are to "abstract" thinking (thinking 'outside' the box) which also relates to "creativity". Of course it doesn't mean one is "schizophrenic" unless they are totally off the chart, but it has found to be a reliable assessment of a part of one's personality.

This, I believe, is wherein the connection lies.

Hope that helps.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:25 pm

I was about to bring up the question of personality types, but I just noticed it's already mentioned. [I'll still go ahead and say what I was going to anyway].

I was wondering if instead of a connection between mental illness & creativity..
what if it goes further down, as in an underlying link to personality types?

Years ago, I had done a test on personaility types by Carl Jung, and I think it was INFP that came up for me.. [there are probably 16 personality types from this test]..
What I found out is that there are certain personality types that tend to be schitzophrenias' [sp?] other types have some other common things going on as a group etc., as in, some might share hypersensitivity [HSP], or introversion etc. and then there are those from another type tend to suffer from Bipolar.

So it got me thinking, what if we can find certain "types" that might be [blessed/cursed] with creativity?]
Could be those who think a lot as well? [thinkers].

There was a time when I thought it was only certain upbringing from childhood, [abuse for example] that might drive someone to mental illness, and therefore creativity, but while I personally have the experience of abuse as one of the causes for my own insanity, I found out later that even people who went through a normal, loving upbringing, can also have mental illness, and/or creativity.
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Gary Dee wrote: One of the 'scales' on the test ( one of 6 if I remember the # correctly - the results of the test are presented on a graph) relates to schizophrenia. The higher a person scores on this scale, the more predisposed they are to "abstract" thinking (thinking 'outside' the box) which also relates to "creativity". Of course it doesn't mean one is "schizophrenic" unless they are totally off the chart, but it has found to be a reliable assessment of a part of one's personality.

I believe all human behaviour is the result of environmental influence.

In the last five years in the UK workers within Social Services have been removing the children of schizophrenia patients. Not because of the fear that these patents might physically harm their children but because the children have been showing symptoms of schizophrenia. It seems that there is growing belief that these children’s symptoms are the result of learned behaviour, environmental influence.

I do not have any evidence to support this that I can direct you to at this time but my sister will as she is a community psychiatric nurse and is the person who informed me of this. So I will do my best to get this information from her in an attempt to clarify this position, if you would like me to.

MiChelleAngella wrote:There was a time when I thought it was only certain upbringing from childhood, [abuse for example] that might drive someone to mental illness, and therefore creativity, but while I personally have this experience as one of the causes for my own insanity, I found out later that even people who went through a normal, loving upbringing, can later on have mental illness, and also creativity.

Again I have recently been informed that children who apparently come from a normal loving family can be the victims of another kind of environmental abuse, where as it is not what is being done to the child which is the cause but what is not being done to the child.
The child is looked after well in every way but has very little physical contact with the paternal mother because of circumstance, the need to work or perhaps their own learned behaviour and thus developing a lack of empathy for others with deeply ingrained insecurities.

D.W.Winnicott, Child Psychologist said, that fundamentally two things can go wrong in childhood, one is when things happen that shouldn't happen and then things that should happen but don't.

Dr. Allan N. Schore, called this Proximal Abandonment, said it is where the parent is physically present but emotionally absent.

This information can be found online in a film called Zeitgeist: MOVING FORWARD, if you do a search for it you should find it easily but I must inform you it is not the best film I have seen it bothers me, haunts me. Luckily you do not need to watch the whole film as the important part pertaining to this is the first part about human nature. 40.20 minuets.

This information is presented by the following:

Dr. Robert Sapolsky, Professor of Neurological Sciences, Stanford University.

Dr. Gabor Mate, Physician, Author, Portland Society.

Richard Wilkinson, Professor Emeritus of Social Epidemiology, University of Nottingham.

Dr. James Gilligan, former Director: Centre for the Study of Violence, Harvard Medical School.

I ask you to watch the first 40.20 minuets of this film and then reconsider your influence in the light of it, you can watch the rest later if you want to but I do not feel it is important to this discussion.

Thank you very much for your time and understanding, BogStandad.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:22 pm

I guess I'll just leave it to you "pop-psychologists" out there. Have fun. Image
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Gary Dee wrote:I guess I'll just leave it to you "pop-psychologists" out there. Have fun. Image

Hi Gary,

Non of these people below seem to be pop-psychologists to me, they are real and I have found plenty of reference to them on line to back up their standing.

D.W.Winnicott, Child Psychologist said, that fundamentally two things can go wrong in childhood, one is when things happen that shouldn't happen and then things that should happen but don't.

Dr. Allan N. Schore, called this Proximal Abandonment, said it is where the parent is physically present but emotionally absent.

Dr. Robert Sapolsky, Professor of Neurological Sciences, Stanford University.

Dr. Gabor Mate, Physician, Author, Portland Society.

Richard Wilkinson, Professor Emeritus of Social Epidemiology, University of Nottingham.

Dr. James Gilligan, former Director: Centre for the Study of Violence, Harvard Medical School.

Thanks anyway, BogStandad.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:10 am

BogStandad wrote: I have found plenty of reference to them on line to back up their standing.
Thanks anyway, BogStandad.

Their standing on what, exactly?
What is citing a bunch of names and credentials doing? What is your point with that?
Inquiring minds need to know. :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:03 am

Hi BogStandad, I only mentioned child abuse as an 'incidentally' thing.. [never meant to stray from the main question of the post ^_^]..
So my point was that, I believe it goes further than just a connection with mental illness & creativity..
that the real link might be with 'personality types & creativity'. ^_^
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:21 am

MiChelleAngella wrote:that the real link might be with 'personality types & creativity'. ^_^

Walla! That is exactly what I tried to explain. Thank you.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery

MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:24 am

that's what I tried to explain in my first reply, but I might have failed to express that properly.

EDIT TO ADD:The only 'psychology' under my belt, is that as a teen I was interested in studying child psychology, but ended up doing business studies instead.
Also I sometimes do reverse psychology on my sons, because it's a must in parenting sometimes haha.
So I claim no expert in this area, or any area for that matter, and in my replies to this post, if it is read properly, it will be clear that I made the statements as a 'what if it is so' with a question mark, and not a 'it is so' statement.
Last edited by MiChelleAngella on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:29 am

The truth as we know it
Is all that exists
At best its subjective
At worst its a fist
The truth as we know it
Is all we can see
And its blindingly obvious
There's no guarantee