To top

Mental illness - Connection?

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Re: Mental illness - Connection?

Postby BogStandad » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:46 am

I managed to get hold of a pencil in my teeth, turn my computer on, type to my brother in law to give me some help and do you know what? He said I paid him £20 to that and I been in stitches watching you but then it got boring so I went back to you tube, if you hadn't got that pencil to switch the computer on, then you would have been there till your mam came home, so £20 to let you out and your brother can have some of his money back at your expense.

He said something else but that might be rude.

Happy accidents, BogStandad.

Comment posted on "Pencil portrait drawing of Kurt Cobain, June 2011, The MasterBakers Music."

cool as fcuk!!!, edited to protect the innocent.

THIS IS ! WAIT THA BEST TRIBUTE TO KURT COBAIN

Tangible

I was hoping someone might say something, I got a good as well.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:15 am

Carson Collins wrote:It's probably a meaningless question in the first place, but it would seem that a lot of folks do think that creativity is somehow connected to mental illness and I just don't think that this is true in any literal sense

I totally agree with that statement, my Friend. And no apology at all necessary. You get the benefit of the doubt with me.....I know you well enough for that by now. :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
C-nick
Extreme poster

Postby C-nick » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:40 pm

I do believe mental abnormalities (not just mental illnesses) have a link with things like creativity, genius and so on and so forth. But that doesn’t necessarily mean creativity is connected with mental abnormalities. I’ll try to explain it as intelligibly as I can, though in short I think I am basically agreeing with Gary. People with abnormalities tend to have unique perspective, which unique thoughts take a big part, there is cognitive disinhibition leading to what others might call eccentricity or just plain odd behavior. Those without abnormalities filter irrelevant thoughts simply because they’re not needed, but those with abnormalities and high intelligence or reasoning don’t filter irrelevant thoughts but treat them just as they do the relevant ones. When someone reasons with irrelevant thoughts the outcome is very original or what others might call creative. You end up with a world full of horseless carriages and machines that can fly you over the ocean.

Ditto for personality types but there are always exceptions to the rules, for example I am an INTJ in Myers-Briggs, and the most creativity we’re known for is sarcasm and world domination schemes. :twisted: :wink:
"Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse." Winston Churchill

C.nick's Links:
Facebook
ImageKind
Zazzle
Tumblr

Clide Course
Passionate poster

Postby Clide Course » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:59 pm

C-nick wrote:
Ditto for personality types but there are always exceptions to the rules, for example I am an INTJ in Myers-Briggs, and the most creativity we’re known for is sarcasm and world domination schemes. :twisted: :wink:

The plot thickens, world domination, sacrasm... next comes the retina scanners, the robot sheep, lead codpieces...where does it all end. :wink:
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:54 am

Hey, C-nick! Good to see you. And you make a very coherent point: artists are different from other people. The fascinating thing about this discussion is the question of just exactly how we differ. I honestly don't know; that is to say, every individual artist seems to be so unique that there is no generalized answer to the question.

By the way, I miss you in the Altered Art Game.
C-nick
Extreme poster

Postby C-nick » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Good to see you too! :D I see you found the painting you've been looking foward. I have some ideas for alter art, but life has just been too hectic (not bad, just hectic) to sit down and realise them.
"Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse." Winston Churchill

C.nick's Links:
Facebook
ImageKind
Zazzle
Tumblr

Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:27 pm

Yeah, I finally found the image that I was looking for in the most unlikely of places, on an ancient birthday card in my 2nd ex-wife's bedroom. Go figure. I still don't know who the artist was.
cjeje10
Substantial poster

Postby cjeje10 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 am

like earlier answers, define mentally ill. the thing that drive' s me(don't know about you there),is the belief that i can create. If someone say its good. ok.if they say it's bad,ok .deperession. chemical inbalance. paranoia. why do we need labels. i thought that creation, be it art, writing or any other medium is something that we as artists have to share with everyone. if we provoke a response ,like your question has, is that not what we are looking for.The freedom i find when i work has no bounderies, does this mean that i am mad, using the imagination like this is only disturbing to the people who don't even try to interpretate what they see or hear. virtu. illuminate. From the darkness of addiction, into the light as an artist i came. to admit to being mentally ill is easy. to accept this as reality is not. so the real question should be. are we normal? and if so by who's standard? if i'm crazy but i have this ability is it so bad. Sid barret(pink floyd).great artist, tortured soul. it's like saying i smoked a joint but didn't inhale. If sid never took drugs would he have been revered as an artist? mentall illness, let's help those that need it and let the rest create. :shock: :? :D
deleonartworks
New poster

Postby deleonartworks » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:29 pm

I've often thought the same thing because I was diagnosed bipolar and one of the books i was reading on the disorder listed many famous people who may have battled with the same disorder. I'm not self proclaiming i'm talented but I feel like i'm a little more in touch with the arts, such as music and painting or anything creative for that matter.
KrisBLISE
Substantial poster

Postby KrisBLISE » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:07 pm

I wonder if the creative aspect is to release the mind into something new that the world can not offer them. It truly is a magical gift.

However, I learned in the college I got to that most artists do not start off with a mental illness. the crazy aspects of their most popular work may have come from the utensils themselves. Infact my teacher said she saw it happen in two of her friends.

Our passion leads us to use things that can be very chemical to our bodies. Led, Paints, and Glue? Some people tend to bite on their utensils ingesting these toxins. it was noted that the toxins wont leave your body, they reside in it. Unlike smoking, where if you quit, your lungs will clean in 7 years. The poisons from paint, glue and other things that we use stay in our bodies and build up if we keep consuming them. This is believed to be the cause of some mental illnesses in our favorite artists. To the extent that they would cut off their ear or do something else quite crazy.

I have not done research in this myself, but if you think about it, it does kind of make since... hm?
"Encouraging Artists to do what they Love."
B.L.I.S.E. (Beyond Lines; Into Secret Emotions)

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”