To top

Mental illness - Connection?

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Re: Mental illness - Connection?

Postby Carson Collins » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:52 pm

...Maybe you should spend a day in an institute with mentally challenged people as to have a first hand perception of this illness...
- cjeje10

FYI, I practiced psychiatry on a locked ward in one of Texas' State Hospitals for a year before quitting allopathic medicine and moving to California where I later became a massage therapist.
I have also been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. Image
Sorry to ruffle your feathers, Jamie. Good luck with that mental illness. Oops, I mean "challenge". Take it down a notch, why don't you? We're all bozos on this bus. Image
KrisBLISE
Substantial poster

Postby KrisBLISE » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks bogstandad.
I actually never knew that some paints were made with any alcohol. That's pretty interesting. Basically I've been told that they are made of things like bugs and plants. I understand your limitation on the subject, it would not be wise to give un-necessary information to others who may abuse it. But thank you for taking the time to post, because for others like myself, it's just fun to know the facts.

To the subject at hand.
DR Carson, when I read your message, even though it was not directed to me... it did seem a little strong and a bit offensive.

However I'm very sorry you were offended Cjeje, but maybe it was just a mis-communication. Words on the internet are less powerful then when they come from the mouth. Many people have a different style of speaking and to those who have been here longer with great "honor" I'm sure they feel very at home and are freely able to express however they feel deemed around here.

In future reference I would think that directly saying some one is ignorant or terribly mis-informed in any since could be taken out all together and the point of what you want your audience to hear could just blatantly be stated without the tagging.

for example:
"As a doctor and in the study, I think that people have been told a myth or spread information that has been altered into a seemingly believable truth, however. Our research has shown that this is paint is not related to any chemical influence to marijuana at all. It actually is ... ect ect"

Or something to the extent that would be less belittling to a person who may have had the information wrong.

instead of "I feel obliged to caution readers that whoever wrote this is not only completely ignorant but also dangerously misinformed about the subject being discussed."

Perhaps you meant whoever wrote it before Cjeje, but the message is so short, one can not determine if you were dissing him or the person who told him such.

I'm sure such a subject was not meant to escalate into something so uncomfortable and frustrating as it is, not only to the readers and each other but also to the one who created the post. But it is something we can be mindful of in the future, yes?
"Encouraging Artists to do what they Love."
B.L.I.S.E. (Beyond Lines; Into Secret Emotions)
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:10 am

Carson Collins wrote:
...paint and glue is the same as lsd or weed or other chemical drugs...
- cjeje10

As a medical doctor with a degree in organic chemistry, I feel obliged to caution readers that whoever wrote this is not only completely ignorant but also dangerously misinformed about the subject being discussed.

Carson Collins wrote:To suggest that chemicals found in paint or glue (or solvents) and not intended for human consumption are in the same class as drugs which without exception have been tested for toxicity when taken internally in both animals and humans and approved by the FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) is ridiculous. :idea:

Further, neither LSD nor marijuana is a "chemical drug". LSD is produced by ergot, a black mold that grows on wheat in nature, and marijuana is a plant. :mrgreen: :oops:

...Maybe you should spend a day in an institute with mentally challenged people as to have a first hand perception of this illness...
- cjeje10

FYI, I practiced psychiatry on a locked ward in one of Texas' State Hospitals for a year before quitting allopathic medicine and moving to California where I later became a massage therapist...

I do not retract my statements. In the future, whenever misinformation is posted, I will continue to speak up. If the poster had said something about their own experience, that would be an entirely different matter.

Here mis- (or, more accurately, dis-) information was presented as fact. Not to correct it would be a disservice to the community. If folks overreact, that's unfortunate but it really isn't my problem. I have neither been rude, made unwarranted assumptions about other participants, nor made false statements. In fact, it was the response that was needlessly vitriolic, made unwarranted assumptions about me, and was all out of proportion to my simple, reasoned rebuttal of an untenable assertion.

Now let's stop this silly bickering and get on with what had been a fairly popular and interesting topic, OK? :idea: 8)
cjeje10
Substantial poster

Postby cjeje10 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:34 am

yuo are right its only recentley that i started talking and sharing with others, didn,t want to over react, so much inside sometimes it all comes out together and for me it is a challenge, i apologise for presuming to much about some one i dont know. :oops:
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:50 am

Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
KrisBLISE
Substantial poster

Postby KrisBLISE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:23 am

Gary Dee wrote:Image

lol, I second that :lol:
"Encouraging Artists to do what they Love."
B.L.I.S.E. (Beyond Lines; Into Secret Emotions)
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:39 am

@ cjeje10:
No problem. We've all been exposed to a massive amount of disinformation about "drugs" because of the USDEA and BATF's so called "War on Drugs" and the pharmaceutical lobby which controls our legislature much more than the citizens do. These are multi-billion dollar industries and they want us to be misinformed. The same corporate entities control the media, medical establishment, and, to a large extent, education. Consequently the only information most people get about these things isn't really information at all, it's just pure propaganda. You are, in my opinion, the innocent victim of a sort of insidious brainwashing that has crept into every facet of life.

By the way, I did make an assumption as to what you mean when you say "chemical drugs". To me this would imply a drug that is not naturally present in the biosphere. There are more than 30,000 chemical substances in our environment today that were never present in nature and the great majority of them did not exist before the 20th century. One common example of such a drug is methamphetamine. Although a closely-related compound exists in a plant called ephedra sinica, methamphetamine itself is a synthetic that is found nowhere in nature.

LSD and THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana) existed in nature before homo sapiens and do not fall into the class of "chemical drugs" as I understood your intention.

Thank you for being big about this. I'll admit that tact is not always my long suit.
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:05 am

Carson Collins wrote:
- cjeje10

FYI, I practiced psychiatry on a locked ward in one of Texas' State Hospitals for a year before quitting allopathic medicine and moving to California where I later became a massage therapist.
I have also been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. Image
Sorry to ruffle your feathers, Jamie. Good luck with that mental illness. Oops, I mean "challenge". Take it down a notch, why don't you? We're all bozos on this bus. Image

Sorry about this boys but...

Any bus that will have me as a passenger is not a bus I want to be on. LOL
cjeje10
Substantial poster

Postby cjeje10 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:39 pm

thanks, shall we start again.? i'm not a drug user, yet the weed has always tempted me but i am still a virgine of joints. lsd dont need it, close my eye's and trip anyway, just got to look at my picturs to see that. misinformation. i lived in italy for 7 years, so first hand experience, being english i was brought up on how great britain is?!!!! as i said before to accept being ill means that i have to add that im not normal, by who's standard. if the people who create what i see here are all loonies then i am more than happy to ride on your bus, as long as i don't have to drive,patience and time will bring me out not doctors and drugs. there is big difference between drug induced illness and just bieng "different", i always hope that i am the latter. If not then i am certainly the driver on this journey, so buckle up. thanks for understanding. :D 8)
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:09 pm

I've done my share of cannabis and LSD and found both to be beneficial. However if a person is already having auditory or visual hallucinations, taking these drugs is probably a very bad idea. THC is non-lethal, that is, it is impossible to die from taking too much. LSD is lethal but only in ridiculously high doses such as might result from a bad laboratory accident. Neither causes any permanent damage to the human body at any reasonable dosage.

A further clarification that you might find useful: all drugs are chemicals. The terms chemical, substance, compound, and molecule are essentially interchangeable and synonymous. Almost all things on Earth are made of chemicals, aka molecules. The only things on our planet that exist as elements in any significant quantity are the rare gasses such as Helium and Neon. They exist as elements because at the temperatures and pressures present in our environment they are inert, that is to say they cannot bond with other elements to form chemicals.

All living things are made of chemicals. I have an undergraduate degree in Organic Chemistry, which is defined as the chemistry of compounds containing Carbon. It is also the chemistry of the processes of life, because life as we know it is based on the element Carbon.

As for the bus metaphor I'm OK with the looney bus but I don't fit in very well on the short bus.

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”