To top

Things are going to get easier

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Things are going to get easier

Postby bloodjelly » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Just a heads-up... I'm working on a somewhat major redesign of FM, since believe it or not it's been over 2 years since the last big update. Don't worry, I know you're used to things working a certain way, and for the most part, the functionality will remain the same, but there are areas that need improvement.

Creating a gallery and uploading art, first of all, is a little cumbersome, and if any area should be easy to use that's the one. The entire upload process and gallery are going to be redone so they're more intuitive and more powerful. This will include features like drag and drop albums, SEO-friendly URLs, faster titling/keywording, and more. Currently we use a program called Coppermine for the gallery, but it's limiting. The new one will be made from scratch. (Feature requests? ;) )

Overall things will be simpler, cleaner, and more user-friendly. The new design will also do an even better job of attracting buyers and making your art accessible. All the old links to your gallery, images, and profile will automatically forward users to the new pages.

Most of the work is being done in the background, and when the time comes for the switch (and I'll give weeks if not months of warning, not counting this one), the site shouldn't be down for very long, maybe a day or two. It is a fairly major restructuring.

I'm posting this to get you thinking about features you might want to see (aside from the ones mentioned in the mini poll thread), and to let you know some good things are coming! If you'd like to see some of the new site as it progresses, just let me know in a PM and I might give you a sneak peak.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Re: Things are going to get easier

Postby Carson Collins » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:03 pm

You go Trevor! I can live with 2 days of downtime. I mean, what the hell do you want for nothing? A rubber biscuit ? :D
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:41 am

Sounds really interesting. "User friendly" always sounds good to me. :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
Jason Paul Claire
Substantial poster

Postby Jason Paul Claire » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:47 am

Carson Collins wrote:You go Trevor! I can live with 2 days of downtime. I mean, what the hell do you want for nothing? A rubber biscuit ? :D

Hmmmmm, biscuits. A rubber biscuit sounds good. What flavour?
Today I looked into the abyss, I saw nothing then suddenly a flash of inspiration and I finally knew who I was - Jason Paul Claire

Art by Jason Paul Claire: http://www.discoverserenity.co.uk
YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/discoverserenity
Jason Paul Claire
Substantial poster

Postby Jason Paul Claire » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:49 am

bloodjelly wrote:Just a heads-up... I'm working on a somewhat major redesign of FM, since believe it or not it's been over 2 years since the last big update. Don't worry, I know you're used to things working a certain way, and for the most part, the functionality will remain the same, but there are areas that need improvement.

Creating a gallery and uploading art, first of all, is a little cumbersome, and if any area should be easy to use that's the one. The entire upload process and gallery are going to be redone so they're more intuitive and more powerful. This will include features like drag and drop albums, SEO-friendly URLs, faster titling/keywording, and more. Currently we use a program called Coppermine for the gallery, but it's limiting. The new one will be made from scratch. (Feature requests? ;) )

Overall things will be simpler, cleaner, and more user-friendly. The new design will also do an even better job of attracting buyers and making your art accessible. All the old links to your gallery, images, and profile will automatically forward users to the new pages.

Most of the work is being done in the background, and when the time comes for the switch (and I'll give weeks if not months of warning, not counting this one), the site shouldn't be down for very long, maybe a day or two. It is a fairly major restructuring.

I'm posting this to get you thinking about features you might want to see (aside from the ones mentioned in the mini poll thread), and to let you know some good things are coming! If you'd like to see some of the new site as it progresses, just let me know in a PM and I might give you a sneak peak.

Sounds good and I can't wait to see and use the new site.

Thanks once again bloodjelly for such a fantastic, free site. Here's to the next 2 year :D
Today I looked into the abyss, I saw nothing then suddenly a flash of inspiration and I finally knew who I was - Jason Paul Claire

Art by Jason Paul Claire: http://www.discoverserenity.co.uk
YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/discoverserenity
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Very cool Trevor:) I can just imagine the work involved :!:
I've always wished for a blog section connected to my gallery, where I could write in the form of a diary.. [I did try to do that in the forums but that ended up a disasterous drama fit for a tv soap].
Anyway the blog in my fantasy have a box to journal in, but also to upload image as well].
I don't mean that you should turn it into a social network thingy though.
[And btw, this is in no way a request; it's just one of the features I'd always wished for on this site.. and not all wishes can come true].
Anyway, looking forward to the new & improved site :!:
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:24 pm

MiChelleAngella wrote:Very cool Trevor:) I can just imagine the work involved :!:
I've always wished for a blog section connected to my gallery, where I could write in the form of a diary.. [I did try to do that in the forums but that ended up a disasterous drama fit for a tv soap].

:lol: I recall. That will be a feature, definitely.
MiChelleAngella
Extreme poster

Postby MiChelleAngella » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:05 pm

bloodjelly wrote: :lol: I recall. That will be a feature, definitely.

haha..
& yay :D
jerry0503222
New poster

Postby jerry0503222 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:36 pm

Sounds really interesting. "User friendly" always sounds good to me. :wink:

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”