To top

"Meet Your Neighbor" Comment Contest

Talk about the site, your eye color, veggie preference, whatever. New members - don't be shy - introduce yourselves here.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:14 pm

This might be the easiest contest we've had, but it should be fun. All you need to do is comment on at least five unique artists' work with respectful, meaningful feedback. Everyone who does at least that gets entered into a random drawing, and the winner gets their choice of either a $25 Amazon gift certificate or a free one-year subscription to our Reach art websites. Simple, eh?

I want to encourage people to view and appreciate other's work, and to try out one of our features that will help you navigate your way to new works you might not have seen before. The feature is a simple shortcut: Hold the “Shift” key down and press “R” to get a new, random piece of art from our gallery.
  • Comment on at least five unique artists' work that you enjoy
  • Make your comments different & meaningful
  • Contest ends December 3, 2012, 12AM PST
  • Hold Shift+R to get a new random piece of art
  • The winner will be chosen December 3 by random drawing and posted in the forum
Please don't spam the gallery with duplicative comments, since they won't count toward the contest, anyway.

Go go go!
keshavashukla
Substantial poster

Re: "Meet Your Neighbor" Comment Contest

Postby keshavashukla » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:53 am

Very nice way, to encourage interaction. :idea:
Regards,
Keshava

Nothing much in particular.
Becca Desty
Postaholic

Postby Becca Desty » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:35 pm

so I started this when I realized that there is a 200 character limit on comments.

Really?
How am I supposed to write a meaningful comment in 200 characters. I mean, it's fine if I just want to write "Hey that's nice" but it's useless for offering a critique or any useful information. (on a side note this is also annoying because there is no warning that you can only use 200 characters and no character count so you don't even know when you've reached 200. I had to alter one comment ten times before I got it under 200 characters and by that time it didn't really read well.)
So what I want to know is:
Am I the only one bothered by this?
and why the strict limit?
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi Becca Desty,

I am bothered too and it is a similar problem when writing a description for your work, when posting into your gallery. On the other side of this I also know that running a site is time consuming and feedback is a very important part of getting it right. I expect that these are not put there as limits but more of a cut off and I would think they can be adjusted.

I also know how frustrating it can be when you loose the flow and the buzz has buzzed off so I sympathize in you frustrations.

I am sure it will be taken into consideration and given some thought.

Thanks, BogStandad.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:41 pm

My thought regarding the comments was that they're not meant for critique and long, drawn-out comments, which is not to say that they should be or have to be unmeaningful. In-depth critiques are really better suited for the forum. I feel like if you can Tweet something in 140 characters you can comment in 200. I can up the limit a bit, but to what? There has to be some limit. Same for descriptions, which have a current limit of 500 characters. I'm open for suggestions/rationales. Thanks for the feedback. :D
BogStandad
Extreme poster

Postby BogStandad » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:04 am

Hi Bloodjelly, Becca Desty,

The issue for me is not 140 characters, 200 or 500 it is the lack of being informed before I start writing. I don't use Twitter because of the 140 character rule but at least I can make that choice before hand, if I am not informed I cannot make an informed choice.

The frustration happens for me because I write something I am happy with and then find it rejected because of the too many characters rule when I was not aware there was one.

Also as I have already stated, "On the other side of this I also know that running a site is time consuming and feedback is a very important part of getting it right." As well as it being difficult to be the creator, and consumer at the same time, so feed back is invaluable.

On the description issue, YouTube allows 5000 characters for a description and I suspect it is because it seems Google sees little value in anything less than 400 words, plus machines can't really see pictures or video so are dependent on descriptions. I feel that alone is good reason to write more than 400 words as well as reconsider the description cut off.

Then on the other hand Pinterest has a 500 character cut off and seems to be doing very well with it but their site software will not allow you to type more than 500 characters because they do not appear after the 500 cut off point. They also don't tell you the cut off point before hand and personally I think it's bad practice to not inform the user first.

Thanks, BogStandad.
Becca Desty
Postaholic

Postby Becca Desty » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:08 am

I see what you mean about comments not being the place for critiques and such long-winded comments. I really agree with bogstandard. It's the fact that there is no warning an no way for you to know when you have reached 200 characters before you attempt to post which is off-putting when trying to write.
I have also found that even when I'm just writing a basic comment, the 200 characters doesn't quite seem to be enough. Even just a hundred more characters may help. Maybe I'm just too wordy though :wink:
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:01 am

Image OMG! Image

Jeeeezzzz! How can something so easy turn into such a big deal???

Trevor, Nice idea for a contest. Thank you! Image

I believe positive comments in the gallery have been going just fine for the last 6 years. :wink:
The forum provides plenty of room for longer critiques.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:39 pm

In my opinion, the KISS method works best. A comment is a sentence or two. When they get overly verbose, I think people are less likely to read them. I think it's more important to choose the right words, than the most words. Just an opinion. :D
keshavashukla
Substantial poster

Postby keshavashukla » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:17 am

Gary Dee wrote:Image OMG! Image

Jeeeezzzz! How can something so easy turn into such a big deal???

s[/u].
And I 'm missing that L I K E button
Regards,
Keshava

Nothing much in particular.

Return to “Foundmyself.com general discussion”