To Critique or Not to Critique?

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
slamgirl65

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:42 am  

I just wanted to say thank you for this post. Art criticism is something I really want to drum into my student's heads: Describe, Analyze, Interpret, Evaluate. There is a way to go about it, and even for non-artists, being able to carefully look at something and form a well thought out opinion is a very important skill. We all need that, no matter what walk of life we are in.

Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:06 am  

slamgirl65 wrote:I just wanted to say thank you for this post. Art criticism is something I really want to drum into my student's heads: Describe, Analyze, Interpret, Evaluate. There is a way to go about it, and even for non-artists, being able to carefully look at something and form a well thought out opinion is a very important skill. We all need that, no matter what walk of life we are in.

Thank you very much, slamgirl65!. You really "hit the nail on the head". Image
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.

anthony
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:26 pm  

In English please.
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition

ArtNewB
Substantial poster
Substantial poster

Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:17 am  

When I looked at the last posted discussion, it is dated back to 2009, I feel like a time traveler for listening to these men and women. Haha, after 13 years, ArtNewB is the first one to speak up again. I like two ladies options, essentially that one from Mentapony. ‘I believe there’s a level of professionalism and fact that can get a point across without hurting someone’s feeling” Nowadays, very few artists want to say something, that is why this website provides us the convenience for just give likes, everyone is so busy. Yet, friendly suggestions would help for us to make improvements, especially for the beginners.

AMHahn
Substantial poster
Substantial poster

Mon May 23, 2022 9:04 am  

captainduh wrote:I have never had a problem pointing out the problems of another artist's work. I can actually teach my artist eye by looking at other works and finding weaknesses in them. You learn the valuable and overlooked skill of observation this way. If you put your work on this board then you expect to get something constructive.

People waste my time with "It looks great!" Really? If it looks great then why doesn't someone buy it? I need to know what it needs. You can provide a compliment but I need to know what it is you like (color, mood, composition, contrast, depth, movement, subject, form, style). The truth is that "The Blue Boy" is great, "The Last Supper" is great, "The Night Watch" is great, but my work - needs work. I cannot hope to become the next Gainsborough, Da Vinci, or Rembrandt if I do not know what people like and don't like about my work.

Art is an infinite room of knowledge and criticism. Check your egos at the door.

OMJ! Thank you for posting! This is exactly the reason, I feel, for art critique areas! That’s why my favorite art critique is usually my husband (not an artist with drawing or painting). He will tell me when something looks off, lacking something, too dark, too light, etc.. like you said, “ …the valuable and overlooked skill of observation..”

When I post in an art critique area I am looking for honesty from fellow artists. Blunt honesty. I believe everyone has the ability to honest, kindly. Or at least not ripping their art to sheds! I’m also hoping an experienced artist can give me tips on my piece in question. :D

Plus you speak such truth! All artists need to know both reasons why you like and don’t like, if there is a dislike. Other than it’s not your style….I can’t see that that dislike reason could ever help.

Again thanks for posting!

anthony
Extreme poster
Extreme poster

Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:31 pm  

Artists sometimes post their work because they only want a compliment. That’s alright.
Many people only ever compliment an artist’s work because perhaps they think that criticism is mean and they don’t want to risk being discouraging.
We can be constructive and gentle at the same time. This way we all learn; it’s a win-win situation. :D
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition

•   Information