To top

Can you all critique my latest piece? Its on grief and loss

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Luka Petravic
New poster

Can you all critique my latest piece? Its on grief and loss

Postby Luka Petravic » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:47 am

Can you all critique my latest piece? Its on grief and loss? Its in my gallery and dominated by a large skull symbolising the temporal and transient nature of earthly things.
Lorena Shiffer
Postaholic

Re: Can you all critique my latest piece? Its on grief and l

Postby Lorena Shiffer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Hello Luka, I hope my comments will aide you in you own artistic self discovery. The imagery of the skull is too overpowering to me. The impermanence of life can be represented by a dying flower, what other symbols might work ? In Grief the rendering of the hands is the most realistic. Where as the tree is a symbol for a tree. If the hands are a real representation; for coherence the tree should have a realistic base as well. Some proportions are off and the skull is missing the jaw.

To create art for your own therapy is very freeing and healing. Healing exclusively for YOU. If sales are a goal, this image is too personal.

Snake I like the bold outlines and shading. the colors relate well.

In any composition one point of technicality is to hold the viewers eye within the image. This is achieved by creating a circular element which guides the eye to each object and onto the next . Holding the viewers eye within the composition.

The bananas draw the eye towards the upper left and off the image to the symbol of the sun. You images in general have an unusual juxtaposition of reality vs simple symbols for thing.

You are at the beginning of your art journey. May I suggest you get a book by Mary Edwards, called Drawing on The Right Side of the Brain. It has exercises and lessons that will guide and teach you much of which you desire to learn. Take great pride in your accomplishments to date, and challenge yourself to learn the basics in order to grow.
Grandaddyearl
Postaholic

Postby Grandaddyearl » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:30 pm

Lorena, nice review. Couple of other comments.The change in water color from surface view to underwater above and below the heat is fine. The hands should be better defined and reading separately without so much tonal match. Perhaps either shading or light would help. Some of what's going on with the heart, transition to the hands and onto the dove would allow a natural flow of the eye except the tree, skull, and sun representation scatters your eye motion. Get rid of them, work some on the background tree/water line. The transition fo hands and dove from the heart one can follow. Remember just because you were thinking in ten directions does not mean anybody else could follow your thinking. Like Lorena indicated " if you want to sell your work make sure if you are telling a story the potential purchaser can see the plot".Grandaddyearl
quillingart
Passionate poster

Postby quillingart » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:50 am

Lorena Shiffer wrote:Hello Luka, I hope my comments will aide you in you own artistic self discovery. The imagery of the skull is too overpowering to me. The impermanence of life can be represented by a dying flower, what other symbols might work ? In Grief the rendering of the hands is the most realistic. Where as the tree is a symbol for a tree. If the hands are a real representation; for coherence the tree should have a realistic base as well. Some proportions are off and the skull is missing the jaw.

To create art for your own therapy is very freeing and healing. Healing exclusively for YOU. If sales are a goal, this image is too personal.

Snake I like the bold outlines and shading. the colors relate well.

In any composition one point of technicality is to hold the viewers eye within the image. This is achieved by creating a circular element which guides the eye to each object and onto the next . Holding the viewers eye within the composition.

The bananas draw the eye towards the upper left and off the image to the symbol of the sun. You images in general have an unusual juxtaposition of reality vs simple symbols for thing.

You are at the beginning of your art journey. May I suggest you get a book by Mary Edwards, called Drawing on The Right Side of the Brain. It has exercises and lessons that will guide and teach you much of which you desire to learn. Take great pride in your accomplishments to date, and challenge yourself to learn the basics in order to grow.

I just learn something useful from you, thank you Lorena :)
http://tranhquilling.com Quilling - The art of Papers
http://tranhgiaysenviet.com Quilling Art Vietnam

Return to “Art critique”