To top

Selling paintings via virtual galleries, is it really?

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Sergey_B
New poster

Selling paintings via virtual galleries, is it really?

Postby Sergey_B » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:04 am

I am the owner of many beautiful oil paintings created by my father, russian artist Vasily Belikov. Part of them I would like to sell. I have placed the images in dozens of virtual galleries in internet. But it seems to me that the chances to sell something very close to zero. The galleries are visited exclusively by artists who do not buy anything, but only praise their favorite paintings.
Who can tell, where can one find the real buyers?
Grandaddyearl
Postaholic

Re: Selling paintings via virtual galleries, is it really?

Postby Grandaddyearl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:39 am

I might suggest a gallery that handles work similar to your dad's where mostly buyers go. If they are familiar with the kind of pieces that gallery carries and spend the time going to a gallery location then they would compare your dad's work to others and perhaps buy.. much of my work has sold from restaurants. You might suggest to a local restaurant you will supply the pieces free if the owner allows you to price them for sale. Most art collectors also eat fortunately and if the waitresses know to have people call if interested then you are "on a roll". Try and pick a restaurant where folks with excess money go to eat. If you have interior design or architect friends they are often helpful and a small commission might convince them to suggest the work in an overall design scheme for their clients. When I buy art I have to see the actual piece and I have not ever bought unseen. I go to galleries or concentration of galleries like Soho in NYC and shop just one would anytime real money is involved. The purchase of art through "amazon " certainly does not work for me or any other collectors. Shows and completions are also a good place to find buyers. Grandaddyearl
Sergey_B
New poster

Postby Sergey_B » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:21 am

Please, suggest a gallery that handles work similar to my dad's where mostly buyers go.
As for the restauratnt, I think this option is likely unacceptable to me. It is unlikely that they buy something
Grandaddyearl
Postaholic

Postby Grandaddyearl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:23 pm

On line you can research galleries in NYC for example. There are 1000's of them. You can probably find 100 or more who carry similar work. Galleries in LA and San Fran have similar options . Not sure I have time to research them all for you. Wouldn't shoot down restaurants however as I have sold two pieces from that avenue over the last month. My work goes at some pretty decent numbers so shooting down that option may be a mistake on your part. Grandaddyearl
Sergey_B
New poster

Postby Sergey_B » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:59 am

Well, what can I write in search line?
Galleries of russian art in NYC?
Grandaddyearl
Postaholic

Postby Grandaddyearl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:59 am

Not sure what that sends you to but might work. I normally get galleries and look at their inventory. I don't collect art like your Dad produced but
I collect modern masters and those galleries that carry modern masters become pretty obvious in a search. You might call the art society in NYC and get suggestions but I see galleries in my searches that seem to carry art in your Dad's vein. You might find selling the pieces is a matter of where you have them priced. If a gallery does handle them they will price them and keep 30-40% in commission. The restaurants who carry my work are commission free by the way. Grandaddyearl
Sergey_B
New poster

Postby Sergey_B » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:40 am

Can you tell me at least 5-6 addresses of the galleries which would be probably interested in Rusian art?
Sergey_B
New poster

Postby Sergey_B » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:35 am

The logical conclusion of the dialogue. Ask a specific question - the answer is no.
Grandaddyearl
Postaholic

Postby Grandaddyearl » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:01 am

Doing your work for you is not in the cards. Research your own galleries. Why would you expect me to go through galleries. I had no direct knowledge of which specific ones carry Russian art As I don't invest there. P.S. Was away at a memorial service for a friend of 50 years and just couldn't jump right on your request.

Return to “Art critique”