To top

Forest River

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
MindGem
Substantial poster

Forest River

Postby MindGem » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:51 am

Here's a painting I finished in just two days.
I'm not saying it's a great painting or that speed is relevant but I stopped because
I was happy with the result. For me it's a great improvement compared to the paintings I've done earlier.

3 things I used in this painting that I have not played with before.
Real hair brushes, it gives a more dynamic visible stroke than the syntetic brushes I'm used to.
Smoosh around with my fingers. I found that smooshing is a simble and very effective way to separate sharp detail next to an either uninteresting area or a more distant area.
And palette knife. So far I have no idea how to work a palette knife so I just dapped here and there and tried foremost to use the sharp side to make blades and branches.

Feel free to give me hard knock critique. I'm a new artist so there's bound to be a whole lot of flaws and improvements to be made.
Just make it constructive

More of my paintings: http://www.mindgem.se

Grandaddyearl
Postaholic

Re: Forest River

Postby Grandaddyearl » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:47 pm

Do you feel that the contrast, especially at the bend in the stream, is a little more than even fast moving water might show. The stream is not deep I assume, and maybe more depth of water as opposed to surface white water would mean much less contrast. Perhaps more like nature. Love the rest. Grandaddyearl
Mshellee
Passionate poster

Postby Mshellee » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:25 am

I love the water flow! Wonderful work. Next time, use just a touch of white in the water to give it that realistic look ;)
ginkgo studio
Substantial poster

Postby ginkgo studio » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:01 pm

Love the branches in the trees. Detail there is great. Wonder if the water is just a bit too saturated, or bright, in colors? Overall, very nice. I wish I could do half as good!
MindGem
Substantial poster

Postby MindGem » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanx for the feedback everyone.

Yes, the water is too saturated, it was meant to be but it didn't turn out great.
The water doesn't flow well, or something with the perspective is not great. Overall it's a pretty bad painting but it was an upgrade for me. I'll keep at it. thx.

Return to “Art critique”