To top

Too corny?

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
sumthingzen
Postaholic

Too corny?

Postby sumthingzen » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:46 pm

I took this picture as a refrence for a Watercolor--- okay and Acrylic on paper. But I'm undecided as to wheter it's too cliche'. I mean a church in the hopefulness of spring? What do you folks think? :?:
Attachments
oldchurch.jpg
oldchurch.jpg (49 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
rebus
Postaholic

Postby rebus » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:51 am

It depends. Ask yourself why you wanted to paint it. Did it appeal to you? Do you see something that calls out to you to paint? Are you looking to make a sale?

If you answer yes to any of the above, then why not? Churches sell, so do reflections. And if you're doing it because you like the image, who cares if people think it's a cliche. Cliches only exist because people like and use them. Besides, you may be able to see a new angle: maybe paint from a new viewpoint, use a unique style or colour scheme, use symbols which seem unexpected, etc....

Go for it!!!
Any of my reference photos may be used to create artworks as long as they are acknowledged in the normal way.
sumthingzen
Postaholic

Thnak you...

Postby sumthingzen » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:56 pm

great set of questions... I'm going to re-write them into my sketchbook... makes for a wonderful self assesmant. Thanks
rebus
Postaholic

Postby rebus » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:30 am

Wahay, maybe I should set myself up as 'guru-rebus' :wink:

So, what medium are you going to use, and have you considered how you're going to paint it? Look forward to the results, be sure to post them here....
Any of my reference photos may be used to create artworks as long as they are acknowledged in the normal way.
sumthingzen
Postaholic

Media Choice

Postby sumthingzen » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:05 am

It would be with Acrylic on paper, thinned down and used as Watercolor. But it will probly be spring before I get anything more than a few color sketches done. :cry: Too much work and not enough studio time... but that's annother topic entirely.

As to the color sketches... Pen and ink with oil pastel shadinghas been about my favorite tech. recently... else permanent marker and/or Watercolor crayons... If I'm not at work. (too much smell for work.)

And yes, once I get some more studio time, I'll post results... but right now it's just digi-pics and sketchbook.
rebus
Postaholic

Postby rebus » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:27 am

Well at least you'll be able to perfect the compostion then.... and at least you've got an excuse for not painting... I'm just plain naughty. What size do you work on? I tend to work relatively small myself. This looks like it could be great on a large panel.
xymonau
Substantial poster

Postby xymonau » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:26 pm

I think the tone of this particulr picture is dependent on how much of that water you put into it. The church itself is just a pretty image, but it is made into something else by the expanse of not-so-pretty water, and reflections. When I first saw this, I could only see the church with a small line of water. Once I saw the whole pic, it felt very different. I'm not an artist, and I don't know how you transfer this feeling onto paper, as opposed to a photograph, but I guess I'd give as much attention to the foreground as the church.
Hope that makes sense. :)
rebus
Postaholic

Postby rebus » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:14 am

Good point Xymonau.... that foreground really makes the picture.... Lots of detail there, and the church almost as a footnote would certainly be a move away from the cliched image you're trying to avoid.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:58 pm

What's the status on this one, zen?
sumthingzen
Postaholic

Status Query?

Postby sumthingzen » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:08 pm

:oops:
Well, it will become a W/C (okay- acrylic on paper) this spring... 1st project I'm planning after finishing the Studio. Haven't done much real work, everthings going into studio or fund raising for studio. Not planning on sellting this one as an original either-- planning to test the waters of the local print market with it! (much higher long term return... can you tell I just went to an Art Marketing seminar?)

Return to “Art critique”