To top

What do you think...

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
lathe7
Substantial poster

What do you think...

Postby lathe7 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:58 pm

This is called "A Little Sun." The sky when I was driving home from work one day was so brilliant I had to hurry up and paint it when I got home. I like it, but I think maybe it could use more contrast, I don't know. What do you think...

A LITTLE SUN 1 for Forum.jpg
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Re: What do you think...

Postby SharsArt » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:18 am

The diffusing sun rays work well, but I agree with you, the sun is the same value & would definitely benefit from a much brighter tint, & more contrast... I can't think of the name of the piece, but I think it may have been one of Andy's... the sun was so white & bright it hurt your eyes.... I think that type of technique would really help you make this piece "pop!"

Hopefully, someone knows which work I'm referring to & can help you find it. I do like the concept of what you're trying to do, but I think the values are too similar, so it gets alittle muddy & lost. Sometimes there's something to be said for the 75/25 formula. I really do wish I could give you the title of the piece, or the artist... I saw it very recently on the "home" gallery display... I just can't remember tho' . . . Sorry I can't be more help.

I would really like to see it again when you're finished with it, so please post another view here!
lathe7
Substantial poster

Postby lathe7 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:38 am

Thank you for the response! I've been thinking about it, and I think what I'm going to do is darken the corners of the painting, and also the clouds throughout, and I think that will make the sun and rays really stand out. It makes me a little nervous to go back in the painting like that, but it has to be done, I think!
andy tetlow
Extreme poster

Postby andy tetlow » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:11 am

hi April,
what i try to do when i use the sun in my paintings is darken the colours which would normally be lighter. for example, even if the clouds appear white...do them with a touch of grey or lilac , so that the sun looks brighter. same with all the colours, do them darker than what they really are by enhancing the colours around the light area.
the sun should be the lightest item in your painting. the sun appears with a yellow tint sometimes..just give it a small amount of yellow so you can still keep it bright..if you feel the sun needs to appear bright yellow....again just darken the other colours in the painting to suit...hope that helps. :D
andy tetlow
"I would walk a hundred miles to punch a camel on the nose" -Pedro Gonzalez, cousin of Speedy

http://andytetlow.blogspot.com/
http://www.reverbnation.com/sumit
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:54 am

andy tetlow wrote:hi April,
what i try to do when i use the sun in my paintings is darken the colours which would normally be lighter. for example, even if the clouds appear white...do them with a touch of grey or lilac , so that the sun looks brighter. same with all the colours, do them darker than what they really are by enhancing the colours around the light area.
the sun should be the lightest item in your painting. the sun appears with a yellow tint sometimes..just give it a small amount of yellow so you can still keep it bright..if you feel the sun needs to appear bright yellow....again just darken the other colours in the painting to suit...hope that helps. :D

There you have it from the 'master' of sunlight! His gallery has many examples! :shock:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
lathe7
Substantial poster

Postby lathe7 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:16 am

thank you for all the tips, I will be sure and take a good look at andy's gallery
andy tetlow
Extreme poster

Postby andy tetlow » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:23 pm

hi april, check this guy out..he has this technique off to a tee.
http://www.foundmyself.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2486&page=3
andy tetlow
"I would walk a hundred miles to punch a camel on the nose" -Pedro Gonzalez, cousin of Speedy

http://andytetlow.blogspot.com/
http://www.reverbnation.com/sumit
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:51 pm

Bless you Andy, I knew it was your work I wanted her to see (several of them actually), but I didn't wanna put you on the "spot." Thanks, what a guy!

I really do like the concept of this piece, & see a lot of potential. I'm always afraid to "go back in" too, because I tend to "overwork" stuff . . . but sometimes, that's exactly what we need to do so our "illusions" more closely resemble the creative image we have in our "heads."

Go for it, April... be sure & post it again after your revisit, I'm looking forward to seeing it again!

Return to “Art critique”