To top

WIP - Pollywood & Vine

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
timothyjames
Passionate poster

WIP - Pollywood & Vine

Postby timothyjames » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:37 am

Whew, this painting is taking me longer than I imagined!!! I'm learning a lot though as I'm doing certain areas lean on lean, thick on lean, glazing, different mediums, no mediums, all over a grisaille background. Mostly, this painting is an excersize for me.

What I haven't liked so far is the painting looks so flat with only one layer of paint applied. But after 3-4 layers, the dimension and colors start to pop. The upper right green, purple; then the yellow w/mask, and the orange-red balloons all have 3-4 layers of paint applied. The buildings and everything else is still only a single layer of paint.

The one problem I'm starting to think about is how to make the dark green windows actually look like windows???? Any suggestions?? I'm thinking more layers of green, then some white glazes indicating reflections from buildings across the street.

I've come up with a name for this piece and it's "Pollywood & Vine".
WIP 1-17-10 (reduced size).jpg
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Re: WIP - Pollywood & Vine

Postby bloodjelly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:06 am

Awesome work so far - I'd like to see a bigger version to just absorb all that's going on in there. What you said about layering the paint to add range and color sounds good, and my only suggestion for the windows is to do what you were thinking - add reflections and highlights, and make the interior look set in and a little darker. Great job :D
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:59 pm

really great Tim, I would like to see a larger version also to take in all the detail. Great name for the piece too!!
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
WillieMays
Passionate poster

Postby WillieMays » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Glacing, like the old masters.
I like the brick wall. You have a great imagination, very important for the surrealistic style you want to paint in. Don’t loose yourself in to much detail, better work on stronger compositions. Nice job though, keep it up.
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:40 pm

by the way, I have been on that corner in SF, if I am not corrected, it is all Starbucks now!
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:20 am

I love your detail and the composition. I think it definitely needs more color. Its either very 'hazy' or maybe it's the photo, but the opportunity for 'bright colors' and contrast is there, just missing so far. Please do continue.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
sorinapostolescu
Extreme poster

Postby sorinapostolescu » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:15 am

Hi,

Very nice work! :wink:
I will not be an ordinary man, because I have a right to be extraordinary. (Peter O'Toole)
Sorin
DrayeArt
Extreme poster

Postby DrayeArt » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:01 pm

anthony wrote:by the way, I have been on that corner in SF, if I am not corrected, it is all Starbucks now!

What isn't? I have one in my driveway.
NEW TUTORIAL: GET ANIMATED CLICK HERE
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Sheesh... :oops:

I guess we all have different perpectives & views.... S.F.? I had assumed in was L.A. - the famous 'Hollywood & Vine' intersection there - with a pun.... 'course there's probably a Starbucks on the corner there now too! :lol:

Are you going to put 'stars' on the sidewalk? I find this one fascinating, & I'm always looking forward to seeing new things every time I view it.
ani goodjob.gif
ani goodjob.gif (924 Bytes) Viewed 876 times
timothyjames
Passionate poster

Postby timothyjames » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:37 am

Hey all, thanks for the comments; and darnnit Sharla, I didn't even think of the stars, and now that I look at the sidewalk, they'd look good. I may add a couple after the paint dries: how about Polly Darton, Bird Reynolds, any other sugs???

I only went thru there years ago while cruising thru there, Belair, Mulholland Dr., etc. I was so shocked when I drove through Hollywood & Vine, and saw nothing but prostitutes, homeless, XXX theatres, adult stores, etc. It was such a letdown, ok maybe not when I was a sailor, but nontheless it wasn't what I had envisioned.

I've finally got an initial layer of paint down on all; and multiple layers on many items as well. It's amazing how the colors "pop" and there's more depth when multiple layers are applied. Sort of like airbushing multiple layers of Kandy on a car.

I'll post final results when all the layers have been applied; probably a couple of weeks.If you dbl click on the pic, it does enlarge just slightly.
almost done (r).jpg
almost done moon (r).jpg
almost done pirate (r).jpg
almost done faces (reduced).jpg

Return to “Art critique”