To top

WIP - Pollywood & Vine

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Re: WIP - Pollywood & Vine

Postby Gary Dee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:55 am

It is simply amazing, Tim! An incredible piece of art! :shock:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
findyourbeat
Substantial poster

Postby findyourbeat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:20 pm

I have a couple of suggestions, first the perspective if a little off between the side of the building and the edge of the sidewalk, I think that makes it a bit awkward. Also your brickwork is phenomenal, however the balloons look more like a mural painted on the wall instead of inside a building with a crumbling wall. I think to get a deeper space inside the building you might want to try adding a very dark, almost black, neutral, like an umber or sienna, I'd probably try an extremely dark umber with a hint of dark green to contrast the brick red of the wall. That should deepen that space. Hope I helped at least somewhat.

Joss
"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
"When the power of love is greater than the love of power the world will know peace."-Hendrix
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:38 pm

That sounds like a good suggest, I agree.

That's another great one Tim. Pictures are a little dark, I can only imagine how great it looks in real life.
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
SharsArt
Extreme poster

Postby SharsArt » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Tim,

This one is really starting to 'pop.' One of the great things that make airbrushing fun is applying thin layers of transparents, Kandy, or overreduced opaques to 'build' color, and bring it to life... it's amazing that you utilized this technique with a brush so successfully, or is it airbrushed? I hope you do add the stars in the sidewalk. :wink:

Pollywood & Vine looks much better than the famous 'Hollywood & Vine' does now. In fact, the last time I was in that area, Sunset Strip was even worse. :( I think even a marine on leave would probably keep his car doors locked driving through there.

I'm a 'fan' of this one.
ani goodjob.gif
ani goodjob.gif (924 Bytes) Viewed 693 times
timothyjames
Passionate poster

Postby timothyjames » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Joss, you're spot on with your sugs. The space between the balloons is the first layer which I did do with a mix of Burnt Umber and a touch of Olive Green. No Raw Umber though because mixed with other colors, it tends to make a "muddy" color; best used by itself as a yellowish-brown. Because both colors are transparent, some of the gray undertones still came through. After a few more layers it'll darken up very nicely. I'm staying away from black else it'll be too dark; which I'm sure you knew since you didn't suggest using it. Quite a bit of the painting is still under one layer.

I'm glad you noticed the slightly off perspective. I thought I was the only one that noticed it as well. When I was doing the glaze over the bricks to show the shadow reflection, I guess I got shaky somewhat and didn't get the line straight down. I knew I was going to lay down another layer so I thought I'd correct it then. Normally I can paint/draw a pretty straight line without a crutch. I found, after some practice, if I hold my wrist and move my shoulders rather than my forearm, the lines stay very steady and straight. A good practice for those that can't draw somewhat straight lines.

Since I've been an airbrusher for about, wow didn't think about this before, 19 years, I think by utilizing what I knew from aribrushing and colors; I was able to make a smooth transition to oils. Still learning though, and boy do I wish I could thin down the oils enough to airbrush. But controlling the paint brushes is easy since you have to have just a tight control for using the trigger for paint flow and air flow. Much finesee is needed for that which those that don't use an airbrush realize. And yep, I am, thanks to your sug Shar, I will add some stars once the paint dries some more.
findyourbeat
Substantial poster

Postby findyourbeat » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:25 pm

I'm glad my suggestions helped. I just noticed something that may help your green window look more like a window. There's no sill or framing on the window, or at lease not much. I seems to just go from glass to brick, it sort of makes the wall look flush, almost like it's a poster or banner, although the reflection from the flamingo definitely reads as glass. Just a though
I do a similar move for straight lines :)

Joss
"I reject your reality and substitute my own"
"When the power of love is greater than the love of power the world will know peace."-Hendrix
Linda Hinchey
Postaholic

Postby Linda Hinchey » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:49 am

I think starting with the grisaille background helped to give it a wonderful nostalgic feeling. You talked about adding highlights to bring out the windows. You might also add stronger contrasting shadows to help give it more pop. I just love all that is going on here...
In the mountains, we forget to count the days...

Nuture your muse!

Return to “Art critique”