To top
 

Lounging Nude

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
User avatar
sar0417
Passionate poster
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Lounging Nude

Postby sar0417 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:05 pm

anthony wrote:What are you disagreeing about exactly? all I did was state some fact and say that it was interesting. . .


I know you did. others dissagreed to my word improvement thats all. Just stating an opinion that I disagreed
What it comes down to is how well you can walk through the fire
User avatar
anthony
Extreme poster
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Lounging Nude

Postby anthony » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:04 pm

I think that June is right. Talent is the key over anything. . .
My Website

Image
I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
User avatar
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Posts: 9235
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:09 am

Re: Lounging Nude

Postby Gary Dee » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:42 am

anthony wrote:I think that June is right. Talent is the key over anything. . .

Let me state this perhaps a bit clearer: The statement was that 'art has improved.'
My opinion is that if art has improved it is only through technology, ie. the computer.
I do no not (my strong opinion) hold that digital art is in the same class of art as paintings or sketches done by hand. Art it may be, but still in a class by itself and shouldn't adulterate others.
Without the computer, talent I don't see has improved in art. Perhaps in many other phases of our life, but not over Michael Angelo and some others.
You have every right to feel otherwise. Soon we will be able to just talk to computers and then hands can be out of the picture. You can certainly call that improvement, but I don't think it will be improvement of talent over the previous masters who used their hands.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
User avatar
sar0417
Passionate poster
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Lounging Nude

Postby sar0417 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Gary Dee wrote:Let me state this perhaps a bit clearer: The statement was that 'art has improved.'
My opinion is that if art has improved it is only through technology, ie. the computer.
I do no not (my strong opinion) hold that digital art is in the same class of art as paintings or sketches done by hand. Art it may be, but still in a class by itself and shouldn't adulterate others.
Without the computer, talent I don't see has improved in art. Perhaps in many other phases of our life, but not over Michael Angelo and some others.
You have every right to feel otherwise. Soon we will be able to just talk to computers and then hands can be out of the picture. You can certainly call that improvement, but I don't think it will be improvement of talent over the previous masters who used their hands.
anthony wrote:I think that June is right. Talent is the key over anything. . .

Let me state this perhaps a bit clearer: The statement was that 'art has improved.'
My opinion is that if art has improved it is only through technology, ie. the computer.
I do no not (my strong opinion) hold that digital art is in the same class of art as paintings or sketches done by hand. Art it may be, but still in a class by itself and shouldn't adulterate others.
Without the computer, talent I don't see has improved in art. Perhaps in many other phases of our life, but not over Michael Angelo and some others.
You have every right to feel otherwise. Soon we will be able to just talk to computers and then hands can be out of the picture. You can certainly call that improvement, but I don't think it will be improvement of talent over the previous masters who used their hands.


I completely agree. To clear this up myself too, I originally stated that art variation had improved - the different types of art in different ways. I personally agree that hand is much better also although digital photography is pretty popular now. So much confusion :? :lol: I think we all prefer hand art otherwise we would be putting digital photo's on this site to sell :)
What it comes down to is how well you can walk through the fire
User avatar
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Posts: 9235
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:09 am

Re: Lounging Nude

Postby Gary Dee » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:34 pm

sar0417 wrote:digital photography is pretty popular now.

Photography is a discipline of art in itself. And again, although technology has enhanced it, it is the photographer who is the artist, not the camera. :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
User avatar
sar0417
Passionate poster
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Lounging Nude

Postby sar0417 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:54 pm

Now you are just making this more confusing aren't you :lol: In my opinion pictures have improved because you either have digital pictures or hand painted pictures
What it comes down to is how well you can walk through the fire
User avatar
anthony
Extreme poster
Posts: 3232
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Lounging Nude

Postby anthony » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Gary Dee wrote:
sar0417 wrote:digital photography is pretty popular now.

Photography is a discipline of art in itself. And again, although technology has enhanced it, it is the photographer who is the artist, not the camera. :wink:


(agreeing, extrapolating and posing a question)
Also, if I may: whether photography is digital or film, it is still photography.
I was given an ancient book by Gordon's wife called "The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques. This book pre-dates acrylics and talks about how one would go about purchasing coloured powders and the proper way to grind it, etc.
I believe that it does mention acrylics, yet there is no technique or use of it mentioned otherwise. It still seemed to be scorned as a second best to real oils.
Do you think history repeats itself? My suggestion is that the same scorn between oils verses acylics is repeated today with digital verses film, or even with music; digital verses vinyl.
Now, it takes talent to be one with a camera, because it is not all just point and click. Whether digital or film, it still takes talent.
My Website

Image
I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
User avatar
Gary Dee
Extreme poster
Posts: 9235
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:09 am

Re: Lounging Nude

Postby Gary Dee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:12 pm

sar0417 wrote:Now you are just making this more confusing aren't you :lol:

I give up.
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Art critique”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron