To top

Snow owl

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
KateS
Substantial poster

Re: Snow owl

Postby KateS » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Here's an update.

I added a bit more yellow highlights in the sky. I will not touch it again :-)

Some dark blue details in the owl's feathers, and face and around the wings. I don't think I'll touch it again.

I made some mountains lighter for perspective. But they still need more details.

I recreated the snow with a bit of texture. I would like to give it more highlights and shadows.

I still want o add some yellow/orange grass in the front right corner with a mouse hidden in the grass
Attachments
5th-smallest.jpg
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:50 pm

I thought that this was the version that you were going for, as it was my favourite . . . .with the red and all . . .it is the most dramatic of all other versions.
Attachments
3rd%20-smallest.jpg
3rd%20-smallest.jpg (10.97 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition
KateS
Substantial poster

Postby KateS » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:24 pm

More dramatic for sure :-) Some even said it look a bit like a river of blood with a satan sky ! Not far off anyway. I did consider it for a long time, but I wasn't quite satisfied, too dark. When I painted it I wanted to have a nice sunset but it didn't quite turn out that way. So I went with my original idea of nice sunny spring day hunt :-)

I feel it though, it's a little plain, but I hope I can punch it up with some yellow/orange long grass in the forground
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Postby Gary Dee » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:07 am

KateS wrote:I feel it though, it's a little plain, but I hope I can punch it up with some yellow/orange long grass in the forground

Good luck with that. :?
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:53 pm

anthony wrote:I thought that this was the version that you were going for, as it was my favourite . . . .with the red and all . . .it is the most dramatic of all other versions.

i agree i think this one is more dramatic makes it more like the owl in going in for the hunt or the "kill" the other makes it more like just a afternoon flight, and given that most if not all owl's are nocturnal the darker sky works better i think.

Return to “Art critique”