To top

a collage of contrast

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Attila Levai
Passionate poster

a collage of contrast

Postby Attila Levai » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:34 am

Hi all,

This is a collage that I did lately. The topic is complementary contrast.

I know it might seem daringly simple but after trying to put more stuff on there I had the impression that the composition was already pretty tense the way it is.

What do you think?

la

DSCF2394.JPG
All the credit goes not to the one who possesses a talent but to the One who gave it all.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Re: a collage of contrast

Postby bloodjelly » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:33 am

It definitely has a color study/origami look to it. Was this an assignment? If so you certainly nailed the contrast part - it's vibrant and to-the-point. Did you think about doing a darker background at any point? Also, dividing the canvas down the middle with two colors, one on either side, might be interesting as more of a color study (outside the topic I guess), since our eyes perceive colors differently based on the surrounding area's color. Anyway just some random ideas but since your topic was to show complementary contrast, and you've done that, nice work 8)
Attila Levai
Passionate poster

Postby Attila Levai » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:49 am

bloodjelly wrote:It definitely has a color study/origami look to it. Was this an assignment? If so you certainly nailed the contrast part - it's vibrant and to-the-point. Did you think about doing a darker background at any point? Also, dividing the canvas down the middle with two colors, one on either side, might be interesting as more of a color study (outside the topic I guess), since our eyes perceive colors differently based on the surrounding area's color. Anyway just some random ideas but since your topic was to show complementary contrast, and you've done that, nice work 8)

Yes, it was an assignment in school. Interestingly the teacher also mentioned a darker background. I will have to do it that way then.

Thanks,

la
All the credit goes not to the one who possesses a talent but to the One who gave it all.
hypotheticrealist
New poster

Postby hypotheticrealist » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:46 pm

You might want to consider a different choice of colors if you're simply trying exemplify contrast. Many forms of colorblindness in humans makes it near impossible to differentiate reds from greens, so this wouldn't be contrasted at all to them. Shades of blue and orange might be more fitting.

Though, if this was an assignment, it's probably irrelevant by this point :P
Attila Levai
Passionate poster

Postby Attila Levai » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks, this was just one of the many contrasts, I did like 10-12 different ones with different color schemes.

Red and Green are opposites also complementing eachother. That is why I choose this combination.

thanks though,

LA
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Fri May 06, 2011 8:11 pm

i love the use of color here works great with the shapes
MFrankly
Substantial poster

Postby MFrankly » Fri May 13, 2011 10:02 am

Is the black part of the composition?

It give me a strong impression of the white rectangle leaning to the right, then when I look again, it isn't. Neat!

It is a tense composition, the more so because it is so centered. Not sure how I feel about that part.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Fri May 13, 2011 10:18 am

OUCH! Looking at that thing literally makes my eyes hurt.
Clide Course
Passionate poster

Postby Clide Course » Fri May 13, 2011 12:55 pm

first thing that came to mind was origami...very much like the simplicity of the piece not sure of the colors first i liked them but im not sure if i could live with them...thats not set in stone for me i think it would depend on the surroundings it was viewed in. taking all that in account it a very striking piece...cheers
anthony
Extreme poster

Postby anthony » Sat May 14, 2011 12:20 am

It looks like an exercise that I did in art school. It was very insightful at the time -
My Website

I am not great at anything - I am in a transition

Return to “Art critique”