To top

Please take a look and critique,Everyone welcome!

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
kenpodad
Substantial poster

Please take a look and critique,Everyone welcome!

Postby kenpodad » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:02 am

I have worked on this acrylic painting on a 30"x30" board for a solid week and have painted over some of the painting many times.I really would like to have your feedback on this painting. All critique welcomed. Thanks.WCB.
Attachments
P1040588.jpg
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Re: Please take a look and critique,Everyone welcome!

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:19 pm

I work predominately in Acrylic and you have some good work starting here.
try and take photos of your work that are clean, try stepping back a bit and not zooming in so much works for me.

your perspective work is really good, good use of distance.

need's a good focal point, a spot that draw's the eye to it then to the over all image as a whole, the cabin has a good start with the dark wall's and bright windows.

over all you have some very nice shading and blending but some spots are lacking such as in the water, the water is flat and uninteresting.

but over all nice work, keep it up and good luck.
kenpodad
Substantial poster

Postby kenpodad » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:12 am

I have such a problem painting water,also with clouds.Thanks for the critique,
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:16 pm

same here i dont do a lot of nature paintings but i want to try and start doing more backgrounds with nature in them. good luck and just keep working at it
captainduh
Passionate poster

Postby captainduh » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi kenpodad,

I have some observations that I hope will help you. There are some nice colors here and the subject matter is fine. Here are some aspects to work on:

Atmospheric perspective. In a landscape painting, the farther away something is, the softer and light it gets. Your distant mountains are a value that makes them appear very close. They are much too dark for that distance. The farther away they get, the more they tend towards a blue color. This is because of the distortion of the element through the air. Pollutants and other elements diffuse light and the resulting value of the element. So I suggest lightening the value of those hills. The closer the element, the darker it gets.

Depth and color. The river is one flat color. Water is not blue of course. Actually water is colorless. It simply takes in the surrounding colors and refracts and reflects them. The reason that bodies of water are usually blue is because of the reflection of the sky. When rendering a river, consider that the deepest parts of the river are usually in the middle. The reason is the light has more volume of water to travel through and tends to not reflect off the bottom of the river bed as much as the outside does. So the middle will very often will be the darkest. The outsides would be shallow and so they would be lighter in value as the river bed is reflected. I suggest painting in layers to get a deep feel to your river. Start in the middle with a dark value, then go over the river with lighter values as you work to the outside.

Hope these opinions are found to be useful. Paint on! :D
"I have seen enough of this world. Paint me a new one!"
YouTube: RyanWilliamsArt
Facebook: The Art of Ryan G. Williams
ericmeikle
Extreme poster

Postby ericmeikle » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:02 am

This is a happy little panting ,good colours and a nice feel. Just a couple of tips ,hope you dont mind. Try lightening the sky at the horizon this should help develop depth. Also the hills in the distance need to be a toned down again for depth. As already mentioned the water is a bit flat. This is a tricky one as your view seems to be looking down on the subject so the reflections in the water are limited. Maybe starting from a lower viewpoint would give you a more interesting composition and increase the scope for reflection.
Hope this is helpful. E.
Eric Meikle

Commisions welcomed
kenpodad
Substantial poster

RePlease take a look and critique,Everyone welcome!

Postby kenpodad » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:47 pm

I have made some changes to this Acrylic painting and would like some critique If you have the time, Thanks.
Attachments
P1040591-1.jpg
Christy Boyce
Passionate poster

Postby Christy Boyce » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:43 am

It's looking nice, Seems to me your light source is coming from the left, or maybe it's just the way the pic was taken. I would sugest adding some shadows. It looks like the trees in the background have shadows, but the house and the tree by itself to the left could use some. :)
"If you want to bake a cake, you gotta bust a few heads."
-Wilbur Cobb-
kenpodad
Substantial poster

Postby kenpodad » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:13 am

Thanks for the critique,
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:23 pm

it's looking good keep up the good work

Return to “Art critique”