To top

Critique needed.

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
kenpodad
Substantial poster

Critique needed.

Postby kenpodad » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:02 am

I will really appreciate some critique on my acrylic on 16x20" landscape, Please do not cut me any slack as you look it over. Thanks.
Attachments
P1040660.jpg
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Re: Critique needed.

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:24 pm

nice work. only thing i think of is a bit more blending and shading in the sky and water.
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:29 pm

Quick question - are you going for a realistic landscape?
Shaun Kennedy
Extreme poster

Postby Shaun Kennedy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:36 pm

bloodjelly wrote:Quick question - are you going for a realistic landscape?

OOH good question, should of though of that. if the artist is looking for a impressionist then it looks great as is i think.
GrubeGallery
Passionate poster

Postby GrubeGallery » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:37 pm

This is neither realistic or impressionistic, somewhere else, I don't know where. If you want impressionistic, use a bigger brush and load the paint, don't look back. I don't think (personally) that any landscape painting should be done realistically, carmeras do that so much better.
MengYong
Substantial poster

Postby MengYong » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:09 pm

GrubeGallery wrote:I don't think (personally) that any landscape painting should be done realistically, carmeras do that so much better.

Totally agree!
ericmeikle
Extreme poster

Postby ericmeikle » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:24 am

Hello. I think this is good work. Perhaps the sky and the water need some work. Personally I would loose the fluffy white clouds and graduate your sky darker to the top. this should increase the depth. As for the water you have chosen a difficult angle but you could try a lot more reflection from the far bank and try to instill some movement. A river is never still even when its running slow. Other than that nice job.
As to realism or impressionism absolute Bull@#*#. The painting is the painting people will love it or hate it. As to landscape painting being left to cameras , PLEASE ! In my opinion the best landscapes are completed on site maybe with the use of photographs as back up in the studio. But even from a photo the mere act of the artist painting the image will produce an impression, feeling, or emotion which depends on what the artist feels about his subject. E.
Eric Meikle

Commisions welcomed
alanminshull
Extreme poster

Postby alanminshull » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:08 am

Hi kenpodad,
Can I suggest something that might bring your water to life? Well, first of all paint the riverbed, pebbles, stones etc and the earth brown tan of the soil in there. All the little features you might see within the river, being transparent.
Then start acrylic glazing.
This is the process of applying transparent layers one after the other and as many as you like, blue, green, white, more blue, green white etc etc Gradually building up the river. It might take a while and seem as if nothing is happening at all. Wait til you have done though ;) I apply layers all the time on my water scenes, really brings them to life.
"Why do we call our planet, planet Earth, when it is almost entirely covered in water"? Arthur C. Clarke.
kenpodad
Substantial poster

Postby kenpodad » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:29 am

Thanks to all who responded to critique my work, As I read all the suggestions and while looking at my painting I can see what parts need to be improved on,easyer said than done for me. Thanks.

Return to “Art critique”