To top

Whatcha think?

Post your art here! Discussion and critiques of user-submitted artwork.
Riverthorn
New poster

Whatcha think?

Postby Riverthorn » Tue May 10, 2011 1:03 am

Hi All,
Just another newbie here, putting a couple of drawings up to see what people think of them. But to tell you the truth, after looking at some of the awesome artwork here, mine kind of remind me of prehistoric cave drawings.
I've never had any lessons, but when I was 17, my then future mother-in-law gave me a piece of glass, some acrylic paints and brushes. Some 20 years later, I painted a life-size WonderWoman, Spiderman and SuperMan and a sprawling Gotham City with Bat Signal on the plate glass windows of a comic book store. Unfortunately, I didn't get pictures. Doh!
So, anyway, here are some of my more recent doodlings. Critique away! (and I'll try to be brave. lol)
Riverthorn
Lady in Pink.png
Lady in Pink
Into the Wind.png
Into the Wind
Gary Dee
Extreme poster

Re: Whatcha think?

Postby Gary Dee » Thu May 12, 2011 9:34 am

A pretty simple style really. I don't see anything to critique. I will say the most interesting thing in the first one is your signature. :wink:
Art by Gary Dee
Gary Dee's Gallery
Gary Dee Wingo's Original Paintings Portfolio

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" *John Lennon*
Life is not about surviving the storm...its learning to dance in the rain.
MFrankly
Substantial poster

Postby MFrankly » Fri May 13, 2011 9:31 am

What's the medium?
Clide Course
Passionate poster

Postby Clide Course » Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 pm

elegant forms in the first one, like the colors, the shape in quite nice as a focusing mechanism but i think what makes it sing for me is the asymmetry of the composition as a whole being balanced by the orientation of the leafy shape. the subject (decolletage) for me doesnt enter into the equation, i appreciate the composition formally and for me the subject is secondary. Really nice piece in my opinion.

the second piece on the other hand is a really nice abstraction of a gull? i like the line quality and the simplification of form. the colors are really singing, nice expressiveness. Gotta say i like the first one better no offense to mr seagull though. good stuff! cheers!
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm

I will say the most interesting thing in the first one is your signature.
- Gary Dee

I have to agree; nothing is more unpleasantly redolent of an artist's colossal ego than a HUGE signature. Not only that, it detracts from the composition.

IMHO, an artist's signature should be discreet enough to be invisible when viewed from the intended distance, yet easy to find if one looks closely for it.
Karly Monahan
Substantial poster

Postby Karly Monahan » Fri May 13, 2011 4:46 pm

I would like to know what you are looking at when you draw. Are the images from your imagination, based on a photograph, or based on life? Did they come out the way you pictured them in your head? Are you satisfied with your results?

If you are happy with the execution of the work, I would suggest taking it further. Are those digital images? If they are, then why not try using vectors? Then you can change the size freely and not worry about pixelation. As of now the images are pixelated and that detracts from the overall image. You also mainly use lines to show the shape of objects in your pictures and as a separator between colors. Have you ever looked at line weight? Since you use flat colors varying the thickness of your lines will really help give your images life and weight. In the second picture you posted you started to establish line as a source of movement. That is great. I think you should look at Henri Matisse, Cy Twombly, and Louise Bourgeois (her insomnia drawings). They all show different ways line can be used to show weight, shape, or movement. If you can, try working with ink and a brush. The color palette you use is very basic, but that is not a bad thing. The bird image shows you have a pretty good sense of color so I would push it more. You can add a few more colors, and you can accomplish a lot even with a limited palette. Again, look at Matisse, Gauguin, Modigliani, Malevich, and Mondrian. They all use a limited color palette and you can see what they did with it.

If you are not satisfied with your images, then I suggest going out and drawing from life. Drawing from your imagination or a photograph is really difficult unless you have a lot of experience drawing what you want to draw from life. Go to a park and start drawing trees. Go to a zoo and start drawing animals. If you have a museum in your area you can go and draw the exhibits. The more you draw from life, the better your hand/eye coordination gets. More importantly, you start to see what the objects actually look like. In these pictures you show the idea of a woman's bust, the idea of a bird's head. The more you draw from life, the clearer the images will be in your head, and your image will be executed much more eloquently.

I hope this helps!
bloodjelly
Extreme poster

Postby bloodjelly » Fri May 13, 2011 8:57 pm

Wow Karly is out of the gate with a blazing gallop! :lol: Awesome response I must say (you others as well of course). Welcome to the site! I can't think of anything to add that hasn't been written already. Thanks for sharing, River. I do like the idea of capturing the essence of something, and we get a glimpse of a woman that's much more interesting than the whole person. Otherwise I think those guys and gals ^ gave some great advice.
Riverthorn
New poster

Postby Riverthorn » Sat May 14, 2011 9:09 am

Hmmm, you're right. I didn't realize the signature was that prominant. I'll fix that. Thanks.
These are both done with simple Windows Paint. And the Pink Lady was my first. I was experimenting with my first computer and graphics program. In the process of trying out each tool, I made some scribles with no intent or thought. Then as I gazed at them wondering what to do next, it became like finding animals in the clouds. I just filled in a few finishing marks here and there and added color. For a couple of months, I never knew what the picture would be until it was almost finished. Yea, I know, I'm wierd. Thank you all for your insights. I really enjoy creating and hope to learn a lot more from all of you.
Carson Collins
Extreme poster

Postby Carson Collins » Sat May 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Hmmm, you're right. I didn't realize the signature was that prominant. I'll fix that. Thanks.
- Riverthorn

You're welcome! And thanks for being such a good sport about it. :D

Return to “Art critique”